Chapter Fifteen - Face My Fears

Depuis le début

"Hi Rose! I love the hair!" I point out as she bounces over to give me a hug. Her hair is longer than before, just passed her shoulders but pulled back into a braid with little fake flowers weaved throughout it. It's the most Rose thing I've ever seen.

"Thank you so much! I love it! I wasn't sure if I was going to grow my hair out, but I realized I could put flowers in my braids! Kind of like Rapunzel! It's so cute!" She twirls, showing off her hair more. Juleka smiles warmly, reaching out to tuck a fly away strand behind Rose's ear.

Rose smiles contently, and the two walk off together immersed in conversation, Rose hanging onto Juleka's arm as she talks excitedly about something.

The two of them are such polar opposites, but they match so perfectly.

I freeze as I see Adrien, Nino and Alya in the middle of a conversation. Some younger girls I don't really recognize bounce up to Adrien, trying to talk to him.

He smiles at them, but when his eyes lock on mine, he does something unthinkable. He shrugs them off and rushes over to me, pulling me into a hug in front of everyone. I gasp, shock and warmth both filling me up.

He left those two pretty girls to come see me, and give me a hug.

"Marinette, I've missed you. I'm so sorry for not reaching out sooner after I heard about what happened." He says this so sweetly, but my heart kind of cracks.

He's hugging me because he's a nice person. Because I'm a friend who went through a pretty high profile incident. He hugged me because he feels bad.

Not because he loves me.

I pull away, smiling sheepishly. I don't need anyone's pity. I'm Ladybug, for Christ's sake.

"I'm okay, don't worry about it." I say, trying my best to smile at him. He looks slightly awkward, rubbing the back of his neck like he didn't think this far ahead.

"How have you been?" He questions, eyes never leaving mine. For a moment I can swear the rest of the world disappears, it's as though it's only him and I that exist. Just a blank canvas and we're the only art taking up any space.

Adrien himself is a work of art. Each breathtaking cell working in perfect unity to create all that is him. Not a single fibre of his being is flawed. He was hand designed, pieced together and perfected by a higher power that couldn't possibly exist in this realm.

Wait, what was his question again?

"Sorry?" I cough awkwardly after moments of gazing at him. He chuckles, running a hand through his luscious blond hair. Staring at him melts away all my anxieties, even if we're never anything more than friends, I will forever be grateful for all the is Adrien Agreste. Even just being allowed to breathe the same air as him is an honour.

"I was wondering how you're doing, Mari." He clarifies, his voice breathy like it's floating along his light laughter. I can't help the blush that creeps up on my cheeks, who was I to pull away from that hug earlier? A fool, that's what I was. Who cares why he hugged me, I want him to do it again.

"O-oh! I'm great, really! Amazing to be perfectly honest, I can't wait to spend time studying you! I-I mean studying and spending time with you! And t-the others of course, all my friends. My super great friends!" I physically have to press my hands against the outer sides of my thighs to prevent myself from smacking my face. I fumbled that so badly.

Marinette, you're such an embarrassment.

"Marinette, you're so cute." He says quietly, letting out a soft chuckle. His expression is lit up with amusement, and I feel my cheeks burn hotter. I blink rapidly, trying to process what he just said. He must be out of his mind.