Chapter 33 - Darkness

3rd POV

 It has been a week since Rimuru collapsed and woke up again. There was still no particular sign of invasion or the sighting of Ivaraj.

 It was good that they could get prepared, but at the same time, tension and anxiousness began to grow. The kings and queens of the human countries are trying their best to keep the situation unknown to the public, but it is a matter of time until they notice something is going wrong.

 At Ramiris' labyrinth, they increased the number and level of security since they were highly likely to be the primary target.

 They were also trying to find out about Rimuru's symptoms but there were no results so far. To make the matters worse, the blackness seemed to spread as it changed his right eye color and was beginning to slowly dye his hair black from the bottom.

 It was as if he was getting swallowed by the darkness.

 As for Rimuru himself, he didn't show any signs of anxiousness and reassured Kumara with the usual smile instead.

 At least Ciel somehow managed to find a way to slow down the erosion, or else his hair would have been pitch-black by now.

 Velzard worked restlessly to find out the cure. She took the sample of Rimuru's changed hair and did all kinds of experiments but none of them had succeeded so far, making her more agitated day by day.

 Just like yesterday, Velzard visited Rimuru to take another sample. He was sitting inside his room with Kumara who was in the child's form, using his leg as a pillow as she slept soundly.

 Upon seeing his sister coming in, Rimuru put his finger on his lips, telling her to be quiet.

'Hi Rimuru. Any changes so far?' Velzard asked him using {Thought communication}.

'No. Ciel and I are succeeding in making the erosion extremely slow, but we still can't completely stop it nor reverse it.' Rimuru replied as he twirled the tip of his hair, which turned black, in his fingers. 'How about you?'

'Nothing, unfortunately. The informations are too limited. I'm considering visiting the library of the dragon castle but the timing isn't good.' Velzard said as she cut the tip of Rimuru's hair and put it inside the container she brought.

'Well, it will work out somehow, so don't worry too much.' Rimuru said as he waved his hand at her as she stood up and walked out of the house.

 Once she was out of his sight, Rimuru looked down at Kumara who was still sleeping soundly.

 Kumara was the most agitated person in the last week as she didn't leave Rimuru's side for a single second and looked at him anxiously. The fear of losing her family again was steadily crumbling her spirit, making her more anxious and depressed day after day.

 It was to the point where Rimuru couldn't watch her like that anymore and put her into a sleep hoping that it will help her recover. However, though she was in a deep sleep, her hand was tightly grabbing his clothes.

 Rimuru softly let out a half-frustrated, half-happy chuckle as he patted her head lightly. Her fluffy ears twitched as she relaxed her grip a bit but still didn't let go.

 Rimuru then took his left hand off her and brushed it with his right hand as if he was erasing something.

 A few seconds later, the illusion that even Velzard didn't notice gave way and disclosed the thing it was hiding.

 The exposed skin of the tip of his hand was as dark as the obsidian and seemed to be absorbing the light around him.

 Everyone thinks that the symptoms only affected his hair and eyes, but in fact it was starting to reach the other parts of his body too.