5. Bilbo | My Imaginings

Start from the beginning

They sat in silence, munching on the bread and cheese. (Y/N) gazed at the surrounding wild, observing the edge of Mirkwood just a days journey ahead. The sun was setting low, and the breeze was getting colder – her fingers were becoming numb.

All the while the sun set, (Y/N) counting butterflies and tuning out the raucous laughter of the dwarves antics, Bilbo was staring at her.

He would miss his mouth, sprinkling breadcrumbs down his front. But he continued to watch (Y/N)'s meek expression, admiring the orange horizons highlight on her skin.

"What do you think about all this time you're quiet?" he innocently questioned.

She sighed, moving her legs over the branch so she was no longer straddling it. Bilbo followed suit, still looking at her.

"If I cannot be where I wish..." she tapped her temple, "I travel there in here."

"And..." he smiled warmly, "Where are you traveling to now?"

Her shoulders seemed to relax as she mused, "I'm faced with a blazing hearth, my feet resting upon a pillow. I am surrounded by bookshelves and the crinkling of aged paper. It smells of supper – crisp fish and lemons. I've made an apple tart for dessert, and it sits beside me. The window is open, and I can see my flourishing marigolds on the sill."

Bilbo rested his chin on his hand, feeling himself sink into comfort just by imagining her words.

"Past the flowers I can see the setting sun, much like this. A splash of color as if someone splattered paint on the canvas of the horizon. And it is so beautiful. And quiet." She closed her eyes, "There are no monsters or orcs or dwarves or dragons. It is peaceful."

She turned her head and when she opened her gaze once more, she found Bilbo staring at her with a serene expression.

"I wouldn't mind being there too."

She giggled, waking him from his stupor, "It is how you get through the chilled nights. And the rowdiness of dwarves."

Bilbo nodded understandably, "That is why you retreat to the trees."

"Yes," she pulled at her cloak again, "Do not think it is because I wish to be away from you all. I'm rather fond of... the company."

Bilbo played with the fringe of his coat, noticing the chill as well, "We understand. During difficult times we all have our means of escape. Your travels are not judged." He tried to get her to look at him, "I... we are very fond of you too."

She smiled, "Now I have a question for you." He nodded, giving her his full attention. He treasured when they were able to hold conversation.

"What do you think about all the time you watch me?"

He choked on his own spit, clearing his throat and fumbling again. "I – me watch..." he pressed his lips together, humming slightly, "No, I'm – I'm not sure what you're talking about."

(Y/N) held in a laugh, "It's all right, Bilbo. Your observations are not judged." She was throwing back the same things he spoke to her. "I am merely curious."

Bilbo scrunched his face, ruffling his shaggy hair, "I... well," he wiggled his nose, "I believe your imaginings are meant to bring you comfort." His hands waved in the air as he tried to form his thoughts, "I suppose mine are meant to bring the same."

She nodded, staring down at her feet, blushing further. She waited for him to finish.

"You... you mean a great deal to me, (Y/N). My mind wanders when I take in your face." He sighed out a blissful smile, "I imagine myself sitting beside you in front of that hearth. We shared that crisp fish and lemon. I gifted you half those books on your bookshelf. And it was I that baked that apple tart for you."

She didn't look at him for fear of scaring him away. But she leaned closer to him, "I think I like where your mind wanders."

"R-Really?" he gave an endearing smile, goofy in the way he wriggled on the branch. "I'm glad."

They sat there as the sun fell behind the horizon, overtaking the skies in night. The chill was unavoidable now and Bilbo looked at (Y/N) with an anxious heart.

He gently rested a hand on her back, "Cold?"

It was almost as if she was waiting for him to speak first, for she responded to his touch instantly. She leaned into him, cuddling into his side and placing her head onto his collarbone.

Bilbo was most receptive, giving a breathy laugh at her immediate action. He wrapped his arms around her, squeezing her tight against him. She could feel him resting his chin on her head.

And they sat there well into the night, many a dwarf spying on them as they took their turn on watch.

~~~