1. Thorin | Follow You

Start from the beginning

Thorin had been looking for (y/n) since before the party even started, he didn't feel like celebrating if she wasn't there too - even if she was halfway across the grand room enjoying herself with others. He hadn't been able to spot her in the hall, and no one else he asked could point to where she was. He was getting a little worried. Then he asked his nephews, and they pointed him to Dis, who then told him to check (y/n)'s quarters.

So he did, and Dis was right. Thorin should've known, Dis always knows where (y/n) would be nowadays.

Before he was halfway down the hallway to her door, she stepped out of her room, and Thorin felt his breath catch and his heart skipped a beat.

Her hair was half tied back in loose braids, ribbons of golden yellow and blue twisted into the strands. Her dress matched her hair ribbons, a beautiful shining gold, with navy blue lace surrounding the bodice, sheer sleeves and the fabric edges. She was beautiful.

But Thorin could tell something was wrong, she was wringing her hands, breathing deeply, and staring ahead at the wall. She shook her head, then quickly went back into her room, skirts lapping at her ankles.

Thorin followed, stopping just shy of outside her door where he could hear her light mutterings.

"I can't do this."

"It's so stupid, why can't I do this?"

"It's not like I need anyone to hold my damn hand!"

"I've taken on an army of Orcs, what makes this any worse?"

Thorin watched her through the ajar door as she sighed, slumping onto the edge of her bed and rested her hands on her bare shoulders, head tilted back and eyes closed. He debated whether to confront her or not, from what he could see there was nothing wrong - to him she always looked perfect, and now she looked like nothing less than a goddess. But he of all people knew that what you feel can sometimes not be said though words.

She was stressed, nervous, anxious, and any other word of the like, and he didn't know why. But he wanted to know why.

"I've been looking for you." he said quietly, pushing the door open to give her time to compose herself. She shot up to stand, hands not moving from the skin of her shoulders, and she was as stiff as a board Thorin noticed. She was hiding something. No one stood like that on instinct. "It really is some celebration you're missing." he added.

"I'm," she started, looking off to one side for a moment, "I'm not too keen on parties. Too loud." She was a horrible liar. Thorin tilted his head at her, quirking up an eyebrow with a small smile.

"You love it when Fili and Kili pull you into their shanties. Those two are as loud as it gets." ( y/n) relaxed slightly, defeated.

"I just," she sighed, "I don't like the dress. It doesn't suit me at all." Thorin shook his head.

"Mahal, you're wrong. You look gorgeous."

"You're saying that just because." A moment passed after she spoke.

"What's really wrong?" Thorin asked, throwing formalities and subtly right out the window. (y/n) gaped at him for a few moments, and then her hands came loose around her shoulders.

"The bare skin. I'm... Not used to it very much." she said, shifting on her feet as she looked up at him. Thorin frowned, stepping further into the room. She looked at him, seeing in his eyes he still didn't understand, but wasn't going to ask her to explain. She sucked in a breath and let her hands drop, revealing scars that started on her shoulders that crept down onto her back. The most prominent one was her newest, one he'd heard of but hadn't had the chance to see.

She was helping the Elf Legolas up at the frozen waterfall when she was - somehow - caught blindsided and almost had an Orc's axe go through her neck. If Legolas wasn't able to stop the Orc's momentum in time, her head would've rolled instead of just getting a sizable cut. She had to stop fighting, but she was still alive, and that's what mattered to Thorin. Her injury was much like his foot; not deadly, still a nuisance, but at least they were alive.

"The scars. Everyone will stare." She mumbled, going back to fiddling with her hands.

"People will stare, but not because of your scars." Thorin said, taking her jittery fingers in his hands. (y/n) looked down at where their hands met, and let out a contented sigh that Thorin almost missed. "You beauty is only added to by the things you'd call flaws that mar your skin. They tell a story of you, and no wall paintings, folk stories or inscriptions can do that well. Not even if there was a hundred of them." Thorin rested a hand to cup her jaw, tilting her downcast eyes to meet his.

"Thorin..."

"You are you, and I-" Thorin stopped for a moment, leaning forwards to gently press his forehead to hers. "I love you." She leant back, looking up into his eyes, her own wide in awe.

"You love me?" she asked, letting out a breathing laugh.

"Scars and all. I wouldn't have you any other way." he said smiling, bringing her hand up to press a kiss to her knuckles.

"Why, my king, I'm honored." (y/n) giggled, bowing in a jest. Thorin sighed, rolling his eyes at her before tugging her hand as he started walking towards the door. (y/n) still seemed reluctant, but with Thorin pulling her along, she didn't fight against it.

"I am no king to you, only a dwarf asking the most precious person in his life for a dance." Thorin offered, looking back at (y/n) as she closed the door behind her. "All I ask is one dance, maybe share a drink if you want, then you can come back here if you still feel off. Okay?" Her smile was small, but her eyes told Thorin that she didn't mind his proposition.

"One dance and a drink." she nodded, taking his hand in hers and pressing a kiss to it, just like he did to hers. "I was able to fight Orcs alongside you. I followed you across Middle-Earth and into battle, for you I've been able to do things I never quite thought I would."

"You could do all those things on your own. But if, for this, you need someone by your side," Thorin started, "I walk with you forever."

"You were my king first, then my friend. Now you say you love me and will stand by me," (y/n)'s smile was wide, she couldn't stop the words coming out of her mouth, and Thorin couldn't help the mirrored smile that formed on his face too, "And I know I'll follow you anywhere you want me too."