02

Two days and one night have passed and I have arrived outside of Riften.

With every tired step I take my stomach growls even more. I had ran out of food two days ago so I haven't had a proper meal. The only thing I was able to put in my stomach was a carrot I had been carrying around for a few days.

Stepping in front of the gates I'm stopped my two guards demanding money they call a "visitor's tax" in order for me to enter.

Intimidated by the guards I nod, without hesitating I begin to search in my back for 100 septims when I suddenly feel a hand on my shoulder.

I turn my head to see who it is that just placed their hand on me– a wizard?

His light brown eyes make contact with me and immediately I feel my face become hot.

"No need for that, she's with me." He says, pulling me close to his body.

The two guards look at one another whispering amongst themselves.

The wizard rolls his eyes still not letting me go, "this is obviously a shakedown."

One of the guards immediately tells him to keep quiet allowing the two of us to enter without exchanging any coins.

Once the gates close behind us he let's go of me turning his body to face me. I take in his skin complexion, it's a lot darker than mine, almost like honey color and his hair is neatly pulled back into a low ponytail. I would be lying if I said I didn't find him attractive... at all.

"A thank you would be nice." He says crossing his arms.

And now my attraction for him is fading.

"Thank you." I answer, "why did you help me?"

He shrugs, "I couldn't let them steal money from a pretty lady."

Those words made my face extremely hot in less than a second. Looking away I couldn't help but bite my lip to hold back my smile.

"You didn't even put up a fight, we're you really just going to hand over the money?" He questions.

"I guess... I just don't want any trouble."

"Sometime you have to cause it." He says, I look at him seeing an unimpressed look on his face, "you look young, how old are you? If you don't mind me asking."

"Twenty-three." I answer honestly.

"Wow, you are young. What are you doing out in Skyrim? You don't give off warriors vibes."

His words punched my heart.

Do I really give off a timid look? Do I honestly look like a coward underneath my armor?

"I have business with the Greybeards."

"Woah, the Greybeards? What could they possibly want with you?" He now seems interested.

Perhaps I shouldn't tell him everything, he might have helped me but he's still a stranger.

"That's my business. If you don't mind, can you please tell me where I can get something to eat? I'm starving."

He raises an eyebrow before letting out an airy laugh, "follow me."

Unsure why I trust people so easily, I followed the wizard into an Inn called The Bee and Barb.

Entering I am greeted with warmth and the smell of ale.

Scanning the room I see two Argonian, one behind the Inn's counter and the other sweeping the floor.

The wizard goes ahead of me leaning against the counter as he flashes a smug smile at the Argonian woman.

"What do you want?" She annoyingly asks.

"Really Keerava?" He raises an eyebrow, "my friend here is hungry."

Placing his hand behind my back he gently pushes me closer to the counter.

"You're a friend of his?" She asks, pointing at the wizard with her eyes.

I hesitate but I nod.

"Big mistake."

"We'll take two vegetable soup, please. Oh, and a sweet roll." The wizard stands up straight, digging in his pocket and placing a couple of coins on the counter.

Taking two bowls from underneath the counter, Keerava walks towards a pot pouring the soup into the bowl.

Coming back to the counter she places the two hot bowls on top sliding it towards us then adding a spoon to each.

"I'll bring the sweet roll out to you when it's ready." She says.

"Thank you." I take my bowl with two hands while the wizards takes his with one.

Finding a table for two we sit across from each other placing the bowl of soup in front of us.

"Thank you." I say before I begin eating.

The wizard looks up from his food to look at me then back placing a spoonful of soup into his mouth.

He didn't say a word, all he did was eat.

Assuming he accepted my thank you I too began eating the delicious soup.

Just at perfect timing when we both finished our soup, Keerava comes towards us placing a plate in front of the wizard. On top of the place is a delicious smelling, warm sweet roll.

Keerava takes our empty bowls back with her leaving a the sweet roll with us.

"Here, for you." He says pushing the plate to me.

"What? Why?" I genuinely ask.

"I'm not a fan of sweets." He simply says with a shrug.

I hesitate. He has already done so much for me I couldn't possibly be able to take his sweet roll too.

"Are you sure?" I ask.

"Yep, enjoy." He lifts his arms behind his head as he leans back at the chair closing his eyes.

"I'm Aimée, by the way." I say, I hadn't realized I didn't give him my name or received his. Taking the fork I cut a small slice of the sugary bread and popping it into my mouth.

The warmth of it melts inside my mouth, it tastes amazing.

"Aimée?" He repeats, ending my sugary fantasy with the sweet roll.

"Yes?" I say after I swallow.

"How long have you been out there?"

"You mean, traveling through Skyrim?"

He nods.

"About three weeks now, why?"

It's like his signature look to raise an eyebrow, "would you like some help?"

Now it was my turn to raise an eyebrow, "what do you mean?"

"It's not unusual for travelers to have a partner with them, I'm saying you can hire me and I'll help you."

His face now became serious, a look that is way too attractive for me to handle.

My face once again heats up, to hide it I look down at the eaten sweet roll.

"How much?"

"Well, I usually charge 500—"

"500?!" I nearly choke.

"Let me finish," he says, "but for you, 100."

"Woah, why so cheap?"

He rolls his eyes, "Geez woman, do you prefer the 500 instead?"

"Nope, 100 is good." Reaching into my bag a pull out 100 septims handing it over to him.

"I'm Marcurio, an apprentice wizard."

I smile as I look at him despite my burning hot face, "nice to meet you, Marcurio."

He gives me a small smile which I appreciate. Looking away from him I look back down at the sweet roll ready to dig in.