42. December 24th

Start from the beginning

I smiled, looked down at the hot chocolate in the mug. I sighed, then lifted up my head.

"Yes."

The answer didn't need to be harder than this.

"You both grew up so much. These last months where you took a big break, learning to know each other better so you don't make mistakes, made you stronger. He talks to me way more now, you know. He never did before and it warms my heart."

"I wouldn't doubt it."

"He came back home after the play you played in and had a smile on his face, but it quickly faded. He said he was scared... He was scared you didn't love him anymore and that you loved someone else. He said he tried to be happy for you, to not show his pain, because he wanted to believe you, to believe that you would not lose your feelings. What is this pain he was talking about, Y/n?"

I thought about Ren. I knew what it was, but I wasn't going to reveal his secret. I will reveal the truth, but not the complete version of it.

"A guy with who I played with in the play. His character was the love interest of mine. I never even thought of falling in love with him. I had good times, he was nice, but I only ever considered him a friend. Nothing more."

Tooru's mother's worried expression changed to a happy one, making her smile. "I feel sorry for this guy you're talking about, whoever he was, but I'm happy for my boy and for you. I'm pretty sure you would have been even more broken if you realized you had fell out of love for him."

I didn't even tell her about Ren's feelings, but it felt like she guessed them...

"I don't think it's even possible now, Miss Oikawa. To fall out of love for him, I mean."

"Please, call me Lona. You're no longer a stranger. You'll soon be my daughter in law."

I blushed.

"Ah, you children." she took a break before speaking again. "Are you nervous? Do you feel like you might regret it?"

I looked up at her, worried.

"No. Regretting anything would be not having him by my side for the rest of my life."

She smiled again after losing it. My mug was almost empty.

"Thank you for this talk, Y/n. I'm glad we had the chance to."

"Me too."

"Now, I think someone's waiting for you upstairs... without knowing it."

I smiled wider and finished my hot chocolate.

"Where do I put this?"

"Leave it there, I'll take care of it, dear. Don't make him wait any more."

"Are you sure? I don't want to seem rude."

"Woosh, child! Your future husband is waiting for you."

I lifted up my hands in defeat.

"Thank you, then."

"You're welcome."

I walked to the stairs and got to the next floor. There was only two doors, one being Tooru's room and the other being his bathroom. I walked to his door, taking all my strength to knock.

"Come in."

I opened the door and saw a Tooru who had his back turned toward me, his eyes on his phone. From where I was, I could see my name.

"What do you want?" he asked, gently.

I sighed, smiling. "I didn't know you would be this hurt by the play that you wouldn't be able to text me after it." I teased while I closed the door.