Chapter 27: Get a Clue

Start from the beginning

"Okay," Adam nodded and followed her out of the Vault, back across the bridge, and into the elevator. The metal doors sealed behind them and the elevator climbed upwards. He looked over at her and smiled weakly, "hey, Camilla?"

"What?" she scowled.

"Why do you call me New Blood?"

"I call you New Blood," she sniffed the air and grimaced, "because that is what you are. As an Undying you have new blood. You are untested, young, and stupid."

"You could just call me Adam."

She opened her mouth to snap at him and then closed it again.

"That's a 'no' then?"

"No."

"So it's a yes!"

"I could snap your neck like a toothpick, you know that, right?"

"Noted."

The elevator arrived at the main floor and opened with a subdued ding. They waltzed out and nodded at an LCIT agent who gave them a quizzical glance and then returned his attention to the stack of paperwork in his arms. They marched down the hallway that would lead them back to the cubicles, and eventual freedom. No one stopped them or gave them so much as a second glance as they made their way through arguably the most secure building in the entire Living City. Adam rounded a corner and saw the exit rising above the rows of cubicles like a beacon, signalling the end of their mission. He took one step into the bullpen and then froze as a heavy, furry hand landed on his shoulder.

"No sudden movements or else, Undying. Turn around, slowly."

Adam held his breath as he turned around and released it as he came face to muzzle with Officer Onlakk. Onlakk blinked in surprise at him, his jet-black fur bristling in clear discomfort. Adam smiled weakly and gave him an awkward wave. Camilla groaned and raised her hands as the LCIT officer pointed a small can of compressed verbena at their eyes.

"Adam Peaks?" He sniffed the air and his tongue flicked out between his sharp teeth, "what are you doing here? How did you get in?!"

"I, er," Adam stuffed Naomi's access card deeper into his pocket to ensure she would not be blamed, "I'm an Umbrella-"

"Umbra Aeternum, you idiot," Camilla rolled her eyes as she corrected him.

"Right, yeah," he nodded, "that. I'm a Shadow, so I just walked in behind some human guy."

"How did she get in here?" he growled, showing his fangs.

"I am an Adarbu," Camilla retorted with a smirk, "mortals cannot hope to contend with our power-"

"Invisibility," Onlakk shook his head, "you turned yourself invisible and waltzed in with him, didn't you? I've told the guards outside not to dismiss the detectors as false alarms so many times. I have only one more question for you two: why are you here?"

"... would you believe that we came to report a crime?" Adam grimaced.

"No, I would not," he replied coolly, "I followed you from the elevator. You went down to the Vault, so I will ask you one last time: why are you here?"

"W-we just want to help," Adam cracked immediately under the pressure, "the missing Undying, one of them is Camilla's friend. Her name is-"

"Shut up, New Blood!" Camilla snarled, "we-"

"-Grace Adarbu," he continued undeterred, "she and Camilla are really close, a-and the LCIT haven't done anything about the m-missing Undying! I was a-attacked by the thing that's killing people last night, and nothing's been done about it! W-we wanted to break into the Vault to see what l-leads the LCIT had and ..." he gulped as he slowly realized just how many laws they had likely broken, "and w-we just wanted to h-help."