Chapter 211: Confessing The Truth

Start from the beginning

"But... I didn't know the Queen Mother felt that way."

Above all things, this is what surprised Lalisa the most, the fact that it had happened because the Queen Mother was pressuring him. As far as she knew, the Queen Mother never showed any interest in her relationship with Jungkook. She had believed that everything had happened because of her step-sister and her father, but she was wrong.

Jungkook silently shook his head.

"Regardless, it's my fault. I can't give you any excuses."

But, there was still something she couldn't understand. If Jungkook's affair with Roseanne wasn't real, then... why did he leave her on her own after she fell down the stairs?

"Why didn't you come see me after I lost my baby? I... I still wanted to see you, even after that incident. I sent the maid many times to ask you to meet with me, but I was refused every single time."

Jungkook slowly raised his hand and pointed at his head.

"Lalisa, back then I got severely injured right here. It even scarred me. Of course, that mark is no longer here."

"You were injured?"

"You weren't the only person who fell down the stairs. I held you in my arms... and we both fell down."

"But I can't remember that..."

"When I grabbed you, you'd already lost consciousness."

Lalisa looked back in her memories of that day. As Jungkook said, she did lose consciousness after feeling dizzy on top of the stairs. Of course, she wouldn't be able to remember anything of what happened soon after.

"At that moment, I rolled down the stairs and suffered a blow to the head. I didn't wake up until ten days later. And when I woke up..." he let out a sigh. Then, he slowly talked of that terrible memory that was deeply rooted in his brain. "You had been incarcerated. Roseanne told me she gave you poison, so I immediately went after you, but... it was already too late. You were dead, and there was nothing I could do."

"...why was I put in prison?" Lalisa's eyes teared up. "If it wasn't you who framed me for working with the enemy, who did?"

Jungkook stared into Lalisa's blue eyes. There was rage within them. He couldn't bare it for long, so he lowered his head.

Lalisa could tell that Jungkook felt guilty, so she couldn't understand what he meant when he said it wasn't him who put her in prison.

"Just tell me who gave the order..."

Then, Lalisa realized something. Back then, there was only one person who had the same authority as the king. Only one person... who could shape the kingdom at her will while the King and Queen were in such predicament.

"There is no way..."

Lalisa shook her head. She had reached an answer she did not want to accept. There was no reason for that person to do what she did to her.

That person had always protected her. Even when many others insisted that the King should get rid of her as Queen to find another wife who could actually give birth to an heir, that person stood up for her and protected her. Then... why would that person frame her for a crime she did not commit and have her thrown in jail?

"It is not... who I think it is, right? I'm mistaken, right?"

She desperately wished for Igor to tell her she was wrong, but he remained silently looking at her. His eyes were shaking.

Lalisa then remembered the letters used to incriminate her. Her mailbox was filled with letters she'd never seen before. Within, there were many letters from some nobles from Chrichton, but there was one letter in particular that had been sent from Arundell. That was the letter used to prove that Lalisa had sold off secret information to the enemy.

That letter had been written on high quality paper, which was only produced in a certain area in Arundell. Since the color and aroma of the paper both exquisite, it was widely used among the female nobility.

That letter was filled with numerous national secrets. Lalisa did not know anything of what was written in the letter, but people quickly assumed it had been her. The letter was printed, so she couldn't even argue that it wasn't her handwriting.

There was only one person among the Royal Family besides herself who also used that same type of paper. The Queen Mother. Even the letters she'd send to her in this life also used that very same paper.

Lalisa's jaw started trembling. What if those letters were the Queen Mother's? Maybe someone else had stolen the Queen Mother's letters without her knowing and placed them on Lalisa's mailbox...

At that time, there was only one person could open Lalisa's mailbox besides herself.

Count Egail's wife.

The person who had been her lady in waiting in her past life, appointed by the Queen Mother herself once Lalisa was crowned Queen.

Back then, she suspected the Countess, thinking that perhaps she did It under someone's coercion, or because someone else had bribed her... but that wasn't the case.

The Countess was simply following the orders from her superior.

"Ngh...!"

Lalisa quickly covered her mouth, but she couldn't help her scream of anguish from coming out.

"Lalisa!" Jungkook rose from his seat immediately. He quickly walked around the coffee table dividing them and grabbed Lalisa's shoulders.

"No. I must know. Now." She shook off his hands and yelled, tears pouring down her eyes. "Tell me, right now. Who was that person, the person that pushed me to my death!"

Jungkook's face contorted horribly, but he remained silent. Just when Lalisa was about to yell again, enraged that he wouldn't tell her the truth as he'd promised, Jungkook's voice finally came out.

"The Queen Mother."

Lalisa's face paled. She looked as if she would faint. Jungkook couldn't stand looking at her expression anymore and closed his eyes.

"The person who framed you and put you in prison was my mother, the Queen Dowager."

🍀