A Case of the Base

At Sweet Apple Acres, a garage sale was going on, and Granny Smith was running it. Applejack, Fluttershy, Rarity, Rainbow, Flash, and Pinkie were standing around Granny Smith as she sold a football to a jock from Canterlot High. "Okay, Granny, one more time. When ya accidentally sold my bass at the garage sale, who did ya sell it to?" Applejack asked.

Granny Smith thought for a second. "I sold it to the owners of that new pawn shop. Uh, Flibbity Flabbity, somethin' like that," she stammered.

~~~

The group walked into the shop, the bell ringing as they entered. They looked around before two guys appeared in front of them. "Welcome to the grand opening of the Flim Flam Brothers' Everything Under the Sun Emporium!" Flim greeted.

"If you want it..." Flam started saying as Flim jumped into his arms.

"... We've got it!" the two shouted.

"Need a pogo stick?" Flim asked, using the pogo stick. 

"A bowling ball?" Flam asked, holding one up. 

"A stuffed clown?" Flim asked, holding up a toy clown.

"Whatever this is?" Flam said, showing some sort of gadget.

"I'd like that bass," Applejack requested, motioning over to the bass in the instrument section.

Flim rushed over and grabbed it, showing it to the girl. "I can give you this bass for a non-negotiable price of one thousand dollars," he offered.

Applejack held her face in panic and shock while the other just looked shocked. "Why, you only paid Granny Smith two dollars for it!" Rarity pointed out, holding up two fingers.

"Yes, well, we have to cover our overhead and transportation costs," Flim informed the group.

"Isn't that illegal for a pawn shop to cost that much for an item?" Flash questioned, crossing his arms while raising an eyebrow. 

"Listen, Granny never should've sold my bass. I'll give ya the two dollars back and we'll call it even," Applejack said, holding up the two dollars.

Rainbow, Rarity, Pinkie, Fluttershy, and Flash hummed in agreement.

"Likely story!" Flim and Flam said in unison, not believing the girl one bit.

"It is. That's my bass," Applejack told them with a slight glare. 

"And can you prove that this is, in fact, your bass?" Flim questioned, holding up her bass again.

"Her initials are monogrammed right on the strap," Rarity informed them.

Flim and Flam looked at the strap, spotting her initials. "That could mean anything. It could stand for..." Flam started saying.

"'Aardvark Junior...'"

"'Anvil Jokers...'"

"Or 'Animal Jane,'" Flim finished.

"Why, I'll bet you don't even play the bass, Applejack," Flam said before leaning closer to Applejack while glaring at her. "If that is your real name,"

Rainbow pushed Applejack back, getting in Flam's face. "Of course, that's her real name!" Rainbow told him.

"And she does play the bass!" Pinkie yelled, riding a rocking horse.

Applejack grabbed the bass from Flim and put it on, playing a slap bass solo. The group watched in awe while Flim and Flam watched in shock.

Applejack strummed the last cord, sending a sonic wave out as she grew pony ears and longer hair, her bass also changing the design a little bit too. 

The five cheered for her, clapping while Applejack smiled at them.

Flim and Flam stared at her in shock for a few seconds while their hair was messed up. Flim rubbed the back of his neck. "Perhaps this is her bass," he admitted.

Applejack smiled, pulling out the two dollars again. 

Flim shook his head, his hair fixing while Flam combed his hands through his hair to fix his. "But there are still the transportation costs and overhead," Flim added.

"Don't forget the stocking fees," Flam reminded.

"Wouldn't dream of it, brother!" Flim agreed.

Applejack sighed, looking dejected as she looked down.

Fluttershy, Pinkie, Rarity, Rainbow, and Flash growled, angry and ready to fight for their friend.

Flim and Flam exchanged a worried look. "Then again, I suppose we could make some sort of trade?" Flam said as the two smirked.

Applejack gasped with a smile.

~~~

Applejack looked down with life as she played her bass outside the pawn shop in a banana costume, her hat on top of the costume. "Come on down to the grand opening of the Flim Flam Brothers' Everything Under the Sun Emporium," she yelled as Granny Smith walked over to her.

"Since when do you play the bass?" Granny Smith questioned.

Applejack finished the cord she was playing before face-palming her face, groaning.