Chapter 8 - Accidents

Start from the beginning

All he knows is that stars are swimming in front of his eyes, and his head hurts. It feels like someone just slammed him over the head with a hammer, or maybe a lightsaber. Yes, he knows what that feels like, thank you Obi-Wan, but it hurts too much, and he's too dizzy to quite remember why right now.

He can hear Ahsoka laughing behind him, and the noise is annoying. He squeezes his eyes shut against the sudden onslaught of light, just trying to block some of it out.

"Master?" she calls again with the slightest touch of worry now.

He groans quietly, and that's about the most he can do. Sound hurts. Everything hurts. He's not unaccustomed to it, but it's still...

It's just always harder when it's a head injury. It makes it so hard to think, and –

He can feel Ahsoka hovering next to him now, but he doesn't want to open his eyes.

"Master, are you there?"

"Yes," he groans quietly, trying to force himself up. He's used to this. He can't literally be incapacitated by banging his head. On his own ship.

"Stay still," she nearly snaps, "I'm calling Kix."

What? No, not again. "I do not – need that."

"That's why you can't move," she huffs, hovering over him. Her face looks blurry to his eyes though. That's probably not a good sign, but being in pain again is... it feels more normal, and it honestly makes it easier to function.

She pushes him back down when he tries to move again, and at least he can appreciate the feel of her touching him. It's calming in a way... nothing else is, simply because she's the only one he can really trust to touch him. Except for the clones, but that's different, because they don't really touch much.

He should get up, maybe, but for now, he lets himself relax into the touch, waiting as he hears Kix approaching.

***

He was sleeping when Obi-Wan finally shows up. Anakin isn't surprised it took him so long, but he's none too appreciative of awakening to his master's very loud (and irritated), "Is this the third time you came here since you time-traveled?"

He groans softly, turning his head away and burrowing against his pillow.

"How in the blazes did you give yourself a concussion on a fighter wing?"

"Quiet," he rasps, wincing. The sound sends sharp stabs of pain spearing through his head.

"I cannot believe you," Obi-Wan huffs, though he drops his tone to a less-painful level. Being close to him is still hard, but Anakin will never – can never – protest. Based on the sound, he thinks Obi-Wan just sat down next to him.

With a ridiculous amount of gentleness, if Anakin's being honest, Obi-Wan reaches out to touch his forehead. His hand feels warm and cool at once, and Anakin instinctively leans closer. It's familiar – painfully so – a reminder of everything he lost.

He can only close his eyes and let himself bask in the moment, though, soaking up the contact, desperate for more. He loathes medbays with a passion, and that hasn't changed. Even if he tries not to focus on it, it's still here, and the lights and smell and everything makes him want to get out.

He thinks, briefly of admitting that he used the Dark Side again, but the mere thought sends a violent surge of panic shooting through him. He can't even begin to imagine telling Obi-Wan that, and the thought of... the hands touching him so gently right now hurting him is too...