Search

Byeol

"Soul?!" I rip through my apartment, knocking on every door and looking in every corner. I can't lose Soul! I just can't!

After not being able to find him, I stop myself in front of the mirror and stare at myself. Okay, Byeol, calm down. breathe. BREATHE. Okay, where would he be?

I glance back at the note. With a sigh, I grab my purse and jacket (again) and run outside, jogging to the nearby super market. On my way there, I pull up a picture of Soul on my phone– it's from Keeho, a month ago, when he sent pictures of his birthday party.

I enter the store and turn to my left, striding over to the security guard as he's playing the crossword on the newspaper. I slam my phone down on the desk. He slowly looks up, not interested.

"Have you seen this man walk in today?" I ask, pushing the phone towards him. He adjusts his glasses and takes a look.

"I'm sorry ma'am, I did not." He says.

"Okay, thanks." I take my phone and run through the store. "Soul?!" I whisper-yell, scanning the crowd for him. My eye catches a lady at the cash register who doesn't look like she's doing anything.

"Hi, hey," I rush to the lady, panting. "Can you... can you make an announcement?" I push my phone towards the startled lady. "His name Haku Shota. He also goes by Soul. I can't find him anywhere." I ramble in between heavy breaths. She nods and picks up the phone.

"Pardon the announcement. Haku Shota, please come to register 7. Haku Shota, or Soul, please come to register 7." She looks at me and asks my name. "Byeol is waiting here for you." The lady puts the phone down and I lean against the register trying to catch my breath. I check my phone repeatedly for any messages, but there's nothing. Five minutes later, he still doesn't show up.

"I'm sorry, ma'am, I don't think he's here." She says quietly. I nod and shoot her an appreciative smile.

"Thank you," I say lightly and run out the store again. Maybe he already came back home!

With that thought in mind, I quicken my pace and walk back home. In a few minutes, I'm at my doorstep again. The door is still locked. Which means he didn't come back yet. I unlock and go in anyways, calling his phone, but it was saying it's switched off. Now I'm really panicking.

I run outside again and walk quickly, my eyes scanning around for any signs of the black-haired boy. Where could he have gone?? And with his phone switched off?? Was he kidnapped?? What if he got lost?? Why can't he just pick up the phone?!

I nearly throw my phone on the floor before I stop myself. People give me weird looks as I let out a small sob. What will I do now? Keeho is never going to trust me again! A-And the Disney trip... no, why am I thinking of the Disney trip? I lost a fucking HUMAN!

I start walking home with the tears falling down my face. I open Keeho's text messages and try to type something. I mean, what would I even say? Hey Keeho sweetie! I screwed up the one job you gave me! Or, like, I lost your little kiddo! Have fun finding him in big Seoul city! My fingers fly across the keyboard, trying to put words together and then deleting them. I wipe my face and decide to give up on text. Keeho needs to know right now. Just as I'm about to open the phone app, I crash right into someone.

Stumbling back, I mutter a long list of curses at the person who walked into me. I hear similar curses from the other side and look up... and gasp.

Throwing my arms around the two of them, I sob in happiness, "San! Yeosang!"