𝒔𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒏𝒕𝒆𝒆𝒏, the tape

Start from the beginning

"Oh. X marks the spot," Pope points across the table and to the tiny x dotted in the middle of the map.

"Wait," John B calls, sensing his friend's slight disappointment and boredom, "There's something else in here," He digs out a tape recorder before throwing the empty envelope carelessly behind him.

"What's that?" JJ questions.

"It's a tape recorder," Ava tells him before leaning towards her brother in curiosity, "And would you please play it, John? Before I use the will to live."

"Okay, okay," He presses the button on the side, making the device beep before the audio eventually starts.

"Hey Bird."

Big John's voice rumbles through the small machine, causing Ava's finger to once against begin tapping on her bare thigh.

"Who's Bird?" JJ's brows raise.

"That's what dad called me," John B quickly replies before returning his attention back to the recorder.

"I hate to say I told you so, but I told you so. And you doubted your old man."

Ava sits back in her seat, pulling one of her knees up to her chest. She has no clue what he's talking about, but she's sure John B is ecstatic with nostalgia. She hates to admit it, but she always used to be jealous of their father and son bond.

"I suspect at the movement, you're filled with guilt and self-loathing over our last fight, but don't kill yourself just yet, kid. I didn't expect to find the merchant either."

Ava clicks her tongue, lowering her voice as she whispers, "So, he did find it."

John's head snaps to her, "Shut up, Ava."

She nods slowly, her tongue rolling over the top row of her teeth so she doesn't retort and fire him up further.

"You're probably right to call me out. Wasn't exactly father of the decade."

"Can say that again," Ava mutters, earning herself another glare for her twin.

"What could I say, kid? I could smell the barn. And hopefully, we're listening to this in our brand new sugar-shack down in Costa Rica, living off passive investments and pulling on permits."

When she was very young, she had over heard her brother and father speak of this so-called destined future, but each time her brother would scowl and say she wasn't invited.

"If not, and you find this for less than optimal reasons, we'll, that's what the map is for. There she is, the wreck of the merchant. If something happens to me, finish what I started l. Go for the gold, kid," He draws in a long breath, "I love you, Bird, even if I didn't always act like it. I'll see you on the other side."

The tape clicks to a stop and Ava bites down on her tongue, attempting not to show how much attention she paid to the fact her dad didn't even mention her once. John B pushes away from the table in distress, tears already cascading down his cheeks while his sister just stays still, her eyes clinging to the tape recorder as she waits for it to play a second message from her dad to her. But it never plays. He forgot about her.