"Turn. And rest," the instructor finished, receiving applause from the students.

"Very nice, everyone. You've earned a break."

"Finally," Montero mumbled to himself, grabbing the water bottle that had been near him. Before he could walk off, a group of women appeared in front of him and his partner. He had no idea who they were but took a sip of his water, listening to them speak to her.

"Very impressive for your first waltz," an older woman told Julien.

Montero cocked a brow, wondering if they were actually paying attention to her. Because let anyone else tell it,  she was the worst dancer in the room.

"Impressive? Did y'all not see her stepping all over my limited edition Huaraches?" Montero asked the women.

Julien glanced at him as the women looked at one another, mumbling amongst themselves, wondering who the boy was. Instead of responding to him they just focused their attention back on the Calloway girl.

"Anyway, we just wanted to say that you're fitting in quite nicely, Miss Calloway. It's not customary to admit someone this late. So, we hope you understand the magnitude of this honor."

Julien nodded her head with a smile. "I do. Proud to be a part of all the wonderful changes you're making in this institution."

They said their goodbyes and the second that they turned from her, her smile dropped and she turned to him. "What the hell was that?"

"What?"

"Were you trying to embarrass me or something?"

"Embarrass you? I was letting them know that you was frontin'."

"And why would you do that? I don't know what hole you crawled out of, but if you knew anything about me, you'd know that I need this more than anything."

"That's the thing. I don't know you. But don't worry, I'm just doing Monet this one favor and you won't see me again," he rolled his eyes, walking past her and Zoya who stood near them.

Julien turned her attention to her sister, not realizing that she had been standing there the entire time.

"Z, you made it! It's not so bad, huh?" she forced a smile, walking over to her.

"What was all that about?" she questioned.

"Just a simple misunderstanding. Anyway, what'd you think?" she switched topics, eager for her sisters honest opinion.

"It's great. I mean, who doesn't love watching men and women lined up according to dated roles of gender norms?" she stated sarcastically, eyes looking off to the side where Montero and the other boys had been standing.

Julien took note of the look, glancing over at the boys before looking back at her sister. "You seem to be enjoying the view."

Zoya's face turned a light shade of pink. "I mean, it's the... It's the least offensive thing."

"Zoya, hun, stop making googly eyes at my cousin, 'kay?" Monet approached the sisters with two women on opposite sides of her.

Zoya rolled her eyes and pointed to the boys. "I wasn't looking at your cousin, I was looking at him. Who is he?"

"That's my cavalier, Terrell Carter. The heir to a not-so-modest automotive fortune. If only he were a woman, he'd be perfect," she smirked.

"Why couldn't you partner me up with him? Your cousin is definitely no Terrell Carter," Julien said.

"Not too much, he's still my blood. Besides, you should be lucky that you have him leading your two left feet," Monet said innocently, causing the girls next to her to giggle.