6

I sat in silence, still waiting for Chase to answer me. "So?" I asked, growing impatient. He just chuckled and shook his head.

"I just like the club," he said casually, a faint smirk playing on his lips.

I rolled my eyes. "At least there's more than one Angel club. I just wish there was one closer to my house."

He glanced at me briefly, but his attention was back on the road, a small smile tugging at the corners of his mouth.

"What's so funny?" I asked, intrigued by his sudden mood shift.

"Nothing," he replied, shaking his head again, though that smile never quite disappeared.

When we finally got home, I felt surprisingly okay, considering how much I'd had to drink. I had half-expected to throw up after what Chase had pulled, but I was feeling alright. He was busy making me tea, his broad shoulders moving efficiently as he worked. I sat on the couch, hoping the tea would help settle my stomach.

Chase finished brewing the tea and brought it over to me, setting the cup down on the coffee table. Then, he reached out his hand to help me up. "You should probably take a shower first, ma'am," he suggested, his voice gentle but firm.

I grabbed his hand, attempting to stand, but my legs were too shaky. I stumbled, and in an instant, Chase caught me, pulling me close to him.

We were inches apart, our faces so close I could feel his breath against my skin. His dark brown eyes locked onto mine, and for a second, time seemed to slow. His gaze was intense, and the closer we got, the harder it became to breathe. My heart pounded in my chest, and I could feel butterflies fluttering in my stomach. It was almost like... we were craving each other.

Then, out of nowhere, my stomach lurched. Oh no.

I bolted for the bathroom, throwing up the moment I got there. Perfect timing, I thought bitterly.

Chase was right behind me, holding my hair back while I emptied my stomach. He waited patiently until I was done, then handed me a paper towel to wipe my mouth. "I'll go take that shower now," I mumbled, mortified. He just nodded and stepped out of the bathroom without a word.

As I stood under the shower, I let the hot water wash away the embarrassment. I had been so close to kissing him. What was I thinking?

———
Meanwhile, Chase, back in his room, pulled out his second phone. His business phone. He saw several missed calls and quickly handled a few things before dialing his secretary.

"John?" he asked, lighting a cigarette.

"Yes, sir," came the reply.

Chase exhaled, the smoke swirling around him as he leaned against the window. "I want you to open a new club," he said casually, glancing in the direction of the bathroom where I was still showering.

There was a long pause on the other end of the line. "Sir, that's... sudden. You know we need to plan every detail, scout locations, and—"

Chase cut him off, his tone hardening. "John, don't give me the rundown. I'll send you the location, and I expect a new club to be open in two weeks."

Another hesitant pause. "Understood, sir," John replied, his voice tinged with resignation.

Chase took one last drag of his cigarette, then put it out. He didn't care about the logistics. I wanted a club near my house, and he was going to make it happen.

———

After I finished showering, I felt a lot better. Wrapping a towel around myself, I stepped out of the bathroom, but when I looked around, Chase wasn't in the living room. Curious, I wandered into his room, calling his name.

"Chase?" I called softly, peeking into the closet.

There he was—shirtless, wearing only a pair of boxers.

"Oh my god, I'm so sorry!" I gasped, immediately covering my eyes.

Chase chuckled, seemingly unfazed. "It's not a problem, ma'am. Especially since you're not exactly dressed yourself," he said, casting a quick glance at me.

I looked down, realizing I was still only in a towel. My face burned with embarrassment. "I-I should go," I stammered and practically ran out of the room.

Back in my bedroom, I hurried to change into something more appropriate. Just as I was pulling on a shirt, there was a knock on the door.

"Come in," I called, expecting it to be Chase.

He walked in, holding a cup in his hand. "You forgot this," he said, his voice calm as he handed me the tea he'd made earlier.

I took it, our fingers brushing for just a moment. I looked up at him, my expression softening. "Thanks, Chase. For everything—for protecting me, for looking after me," I said, my voice quieter than usual.

He met my gaze, his expression unreadable. "It's my job, ma'am," he replied, but there was a hint of something else in his voice. Something deeper.

I sighed, frustration bubbling up again. "I just wish we could've met under different circumstances. All of this... it's because of that damn stalker. Asshole."

Chase's jaw tightened slightly, his eyes darkening for a moment before he looked away. "Yeah," was all he said, his tone clipped. But I couldn't shake the feeling that there was something more he wasn't telling me. Something he was keeping hidden.

Now that kinda felt bad. But I don't know about which one. About the fact she trusted me even though I was lying to her or the fact she just called me an asshole.