Chapter 10 Knight's School?

Start from the beginning

The slap sends me flying and I crash into Herman. I bit back a shriek as the tea comes down with me. The glass shatters and scolding tea is dumped onto me. My right arm screams out in pain from the fall.

Glass embeds itself into my hands and arms. My cheek burns and my vision blurs.

I try to push up off the floor but can't gather the strength. The duke speaks.

"If you ever disrespect me like that again I'll kill you," he says and starts to leave the room. As he reaches the door he says something I almost don't catch.

"I want you out before I leave for Vernal. Take only what you need. They'll provide you with everything else. Herman, have this place cleaned before I get back this evening," he said putting on his hat and leaving.

I look at the ground slightly confused. What the hell does that mean? Is he kicking me out, marrying me off, or...no way, is he sending me to knights school?

Herman also leaves the room; I assume to grab cleaning supplies. I manage to pull myself off the ground. I look down at myself. Tea will surely stain this shirt the corset will be fine. I have glass covering both arms and hands. And a few minor burns from the hot tea. My left cheek is starting to swell and burn.

But all I can really think about is that I may have just gotten into Knights school. I fly from the room and rush into my room. Maids scutter around me giving wide eye looks.

Inside my suit, Aug is stitching something I can't quite make out.

"I think I just got into Knight's school," I say excitement lacing my voice.

"That's fantastic-" She starts and turns towards me her eyes growing wide. I look at her confused and catch myself in a mirror. I cringe it was much worse than I thought it was. My face looks like when I get hit by a baseball bat playing softball when I was 10.

"What on earth happened to you?"

"The duke slapped me into a tray of tea. That's not the important part!" I say rolling my eyes.

"Doesn't that hurt?" she asks.

"Eh, it does but I'm sure I'll go through worse during training," I say shrugging.

"Sit down, I'll grab a pair of tweezers," she said dashing into the bathroom. I sit at my vanity and start plucking the bigger pieces out with my fingers. I flinch every time I pull one out.

"Actually, I'll draw a bath for you," she says starting the water. I roll my eyes and put my hand out for the tweezers. She sighs and hands them to me as she grabs me a new outfit.

"You really ought to be more careful," she says shaking her head.

"I didn't really plan that part," I say shrugging. I pull out a piece that got into the cut from a couple of days ago. That one burned and brought a tear to my eye. My right arm was slowly starting to hurt worse and worse.

I focus on pulling all the glass out from my right arm. I gasp in surprise as Aug puts some cream on my face that cools the burning a bit. I sniff, is that mint?

"That should help with the swelling," she says shaking her head at me. I give her a lopsided smile.

"Thank you, Aug," I say. She nods and cuts the water off. She helps me into the water which is also mint-scented. Aug takes the tweezers from me and starts pulling the rest of the glass out. She grabs my arms softly.

"Does your right arm still hurt?" she asks.

"Yeah, I think whatever progress it made was just undone again. I fell pretty hard," I say flinching as she moves my arm to get a better look at the glass.