Chapter 26

***Ashton's POV***

I was left speechless when Maya said it. I know she's not over the fact Luke lied to her. I know pretty well she isn't really moving on or has moved on. Honestly, Luke made those promises to make her feel better, to make her feel safe. He just didn't know it was another way to kill her.

The rose I gave her was secretly a gun.

That was the words he keeps repeating for the past few years. He wrote it on the restaurant napkins, writes it on the whiteboard backstage, tweeted it, make a photo of it and post it online and so on.

He tends to put it in the songs he made but Michael would change it into something else. He was devastated for the first few months but he slowly starts to cheer up after though we all know he's still feeling guilty about it. I went outside with Brianna and see her on the bench few blocks away.

"What happened between you two?" Brianna asks, hoping I would explain everything. But explaining everything will hurt her feelings and that's not my goal today. "We were good friends back then and Luke lied to her so she's still devastated about it." She nods. "What happened between you and the other girl?" I gulp in my fears.

"We like each other but there is one mistake I made, I thought it was for the best but actually, I'm just making it worse." I say. I remember when her ex boyfriend comes in and threatened her so I save her. But turns out that guy was telling her something she never knew, and that guy was in coma for three months after I hit his head hard. He woke up with amnesia and he didn't even know who Sabrina is. She was mad because the secret was actually her life. And I lost it for her.

"I'm pretty sure she'll forgive you one day. Do you wanna talk to her? I can give you both some time alone. I'm just gonna go look around. Call me if you're done." She pecks me on my cheek. I hate to tell her that 'the other girl' was the only girl I ever fall hard for.

"Hey," I approach her. "Where's your girlfriend?" She pushes her hair backwards. Those hair dyes she had back then just turned into full brunette hair with natural waves. "She went to shop for something." I say.

"You know, Luke was sorry about what happened." I start the conversation. "Ash," "No, he was devastated. He feels sorry because he lied to you. I know he can't fulfill his promises to you but that doesn't make him a bad person."

"Ash, we talked about this before. Please, just," "You're the one who always told me that 'people do the stupidest thing when they are in love' and I believe he's in love with you. He just cares about you, that were why he did all the promises." I let it all out.

"And you know that because he's your best friend. Isn't it? Ash, I know what I said to you and I understand you're trying to help. But right now, I just want to feel free. For all these years, I feel like I could breathe again like when I first met you guys. I don't want to be suffocated in these deep thoughts that will eventually hurt my feelings." She pauses.

"I really appreciate the thoughts, Ash. I really do. But some people are just not meant to be with each other." She shakes her head and grabs her bag before leaving me on the bench.

I thought I can speak with her properly, get back on track and make her talk to Sabrina but I know that dream just died. I killed it. Now all of us are stuck in this circle where none of us walks alongside anymore. We're all chasing nothing but dust and empty hopes.