Chapter 0-2: Aang

I'm 12 now, and after a few months of traveling the Earth Kingdom, I find refuge in Omashu, even wearing Earth Kingdom clothes to fit in

I'm 12 now, and after a few months of traveling the Earth Kingdom, I find refuge in Omashu, even wearing Earth Kingdom clothes to fit in. The citizens are very nice, and I've even made a few friends here. One of them is Bumi, a kid around 8. He has a friend who occasionally visits from the Air Temples that he tells me about. I finally get to meet Bumi's friend, and he looks around Bumi's age.

He introduces himself, "I'm Aang! What's your name?"

I respond, "I'm Ryuza. I'm from the Fire Nation, but I lost my family, so I'm living in the Earth Kingdom."

Aang looks sad, but he says, "If you don't have any family, why don't you come with me to the Southern Air Temple? The monks are really nice people."

I nod and grab my few things, slinging my bag over my shoulder. I still have Cyril in my bag and even snuggle him while sleeping. After we say goodbye to Bumi, Aang takes me with him out of the city and down a long road. At the end of the road, there's a sky bison. I've rarely seen one, so I start petting its nose in astonishment.

The bison growls in delight, and Aang says, "This is Appa, my sky bison. He helps me get around and visit my friends. Wanna hop on?"

I smile and climb up Appa, settling in the saddle. Aang uses his airbending to hop onto Appa's head, grabbing the reins attached to his horns.

He excitedly says, "Okay, first-time flier. Hold on tight! Yip yip."

As Aang says that, Appa takes off into the air, flying away from Omashu. Appa is much faster than any ship I've ever seen, so it only takes a few hours to reach the Southern Air Temple instead of a few days or weeks. Aang and I shared jokes and stories on the ride, getting to know each other pretty well. Once we arrived at the Air Temple, Aang introduced me to the monks, and they seemed kind of cold towards me at first, but the other kids were nice, like Aang.

They allowed me to stay and even offered to teach me what they could to help me firebend better. They told me that, in their worldly travels, they have studied different forms of bending to apply them to their airbending. I was even given a shared room with Aang. I think I'm going to like it here.