Chapter 3

Jennie

The butler of the house, Mr. Jackson, showed me to my room, which was on the second storey of the mansion. The room seemed comfortable with a double bed, a matching dresser, a wardrobe, and it even has a flat-screen television while a large window overlooked the lake.

It was like looking at a painting and I could certainly get used to this scenery. There wasn't any place I'd rather be, to be honest.

The walls of the room were covered in baby pink wallpapers with little cherry blossom petals on it, and I was quickly falling in love with this bedroom. This place was more than what I'd expected and I knew that I'm going to be very happy under this employment.

Nichkhun was excessively sweet and his mannerisms screamed 'gentleman'. He'd mentioned that excluding Lisa – his sister whom they employed me as a nanny for, he has two other brothers and another sister, Sorn. I took in all of the information as he told me about Bambam, who was seventeen and studying in high school, and then there was the youngest, little Lucas, aged eleven.

Their parents were killed two years ago during a tragic boating accident that took place by the property lake and that had left only their grandfather Marco Snr. Manoban alive. The man was eighty-five and is bound to a wheelchair.

As I listened to Nichkhun reciting the tragic story of his family, I couldn't help but feel sympathy for them. It was all so depressing and I could feel the sadness creeping into the atmosphere. Nichkhun had to shoulder all the responsibilities of being the only mature man in the family, and my heart went out to him.

The mansion was easy to get lost in; the passageways were endless and there were so many rooms that I could only cover them all in one week. There was a movie theatre, and a library that was my favourite in the mansion. Nichkhun was quick to tell me that I was allowed to use them during my free time.

We stopped in front of a room when he turned to face me, "Jen, just a heads up. About my sister Lisa, she may not like you right off the bat and she'll take her time to warm up to you, so I will suggest that you learn to be patient with her."

I placed my hand on his. "I will never give you a chance to be disappointed."

He smiled, and then his gaze followed where I touched his hand. I quickly snatched my hand off his shirt sleeve. "I expect you won't." he narrowed his eyes at me, with heat radiated from his green eyes. "This is Lisa's bedroom. Are you ready to meet her?"

I nodded.

He turned the knob and opened the door. "Lisa, look who's here to see you."

The room was empty.

The décor was slightly masculine; the walls were painted a deep grey, and the furniture was rich, polished wood, everything in gothic style. It was apparent that they had restored the home in this original unique style from the 1800s.

A toy train moved over the tiny track, puffing out a little smoke, going inside the little tunnel and then zigzagging through mini-mountains and forests. I stared at the toys, and Nichkhun watched me in amusement. "Lisa loves trains. It calms her down to just look at them."

There were other miscellaneous toys sprawled on the floor, along with a drawing book and crayons.

I smiled. "I can't wait to meet her. She sounds lovely."

"She is." Nichkhun agreed proudly.

My eyes then rested over the wooden bedposts by the headboard. There were ropes tied on either side of it. A chill ran down my body, thinking about the reason for the ropes to even be there.

"What are those for?" I inquired, curiously.

Nichkhun followed my gaze, and his smile faltered. "Well, as I mentioned before, Lisa can be a little difficult at times. The ropes are only used for emergency purposes."

Something about his tone told me that I wasn't allowed to question him further about the topic.

What exactly were these emergency purposes? Did her family tie her up? That surely sounded cruel, but I decided not to push it.

He looked at his gold wristwatch. "I'm sure we'll see Lisa downstairs in the dining room, since it's already time for dinner. Join me."

"Thank you." I said.

I couldn't wait to meet Lisa Manoban.