Chapter 72

Jennie

"Jen, my head hurts." Lisa complained when I went upstairs to our bedroom. She was holding her head between her hands, her face was contorted in pain.

"What's happening to you?"

"I... I don't know." She was breathing hard. She grabbed my hand. "I need my medication! It's throbbing... the pain's unbearable..."

"The meds are not good for your health."

Her eyes shifted to my fingers. "What's wrong with your hand?"

"It's nothing. I cut myself on the cutting board." I lied to her. "I'll see if I can find some mild painkillers for your pain, okay?"

I found some pills in the drawer that I handed to her. These weren't prescribed to her, but they were normal painkiller meds and then I changed into my nightgown, aware of her watchful eyes following me.

"You're lying." She said.

"What?"

"You're lying about your hand." She said, "What... what happened to you, Jen? Who did this to you? Don't lie to me."

I couldn't control myself. If she wanted the truth, she would get it. "Your family is evil. Your brother and sister are monsters! And they plan to do vile things to us, Lisa!"

She was on the edge now. I had her attention. "What vile things? What are you talking about?"

I made sure that the door was properly locked. "They want to kill you and frame me for it."

"No. No way." She said almost as if her denial would be enough to prove me wrong.

"It's true! They are making me out to be a gold-digger who laundered money from your company when I have done no such thing. They are creating this scenario so that it would be easier for them to kill you and make me into a scapegoat."

"Nichkhun wouldn't do that." Lisa whispered. "I... I handed over the company to him after my accident because I couldn't remember my past... much less how to run a corporation. It was voluntarily... so why would he kill me?"

"Because they are afraid that you will remember one of these days!" I whispered screamed at her. I went closer to her, while holding her face in my hands, "They are afraid that you will remember every single detail about the accident and whatever happened before that. Nichkhun and Sorn want you out of the picture."

"They are... they are going to kill me?"

"Baby, I won't let them touch a hair on your head. You have my word." I said, while hugging her head to my chest, "But you have to remember..."

Her light brown eyes filled with confused tears. "It's all hazy and unclear. I can't remember anything at all. I just recall being saved by some fishermen and then my memories drift in and out. Then next, I walked in to my own funeral."

I wiped her tear with the pad of my thumb, "You have to try harder, baby. That's the only way that we can stop them."

"Or what happens?" She asked.

I knew that hiding the truth from her was of no use. We don't have the liberty to keep information from her that could only cause her more harm.

"If they succeed, then you'll be dead and I'll be in jail convicted for your murder."