He Was Still A Kid

Start bij het begin

"Trying to write a letter?" She asked.

"Mm."

Pandora sat on the floor against the couch. "I know the rumours have been...really horrible, but you can't just hole up in here, it's not good for you. The only time I have seen you is around Dumbledore's office, and now I don't see you at all. Do you even eat?" Mumble. "Do you talk to your brother?"

"I'm giving him space." Christopher murmured. A pause. "Shocker, I know..."

Pandora chewed on her lower lip. "Yeah, it is a shocker, but that's good. He needs his space, but before you disappeared on us, you, and your brother's relationship seemed better. I have also seen you hanging out with someone you had a personal vendetta against, so something must have changed."

"Odair isn't bad, I just have freaking issues with...everything." Christopher said, peeking up. "I know I shouldn't have been the way I was with him or my brother or you...or anyone, and now I feel like I am just getting it all back. People hating me, being mean about...my parents, it's–"

"Just because you were mean, doesn't give them an excuse to say what they are saying about your family." Pandora said.

"Why? They are horrible people."

"Yes, but I know it still hurts."

Christopher half sat up. "What I'm mad about the most is how...how I blew up at my brother about mum, and then...then it gave Jackson an excuse to spread everything else...about my dad, and it's not really...fair. Now everyone thinks I'm just like my dad, they don't even know him. They just know what Jackson has spread...and yeah, he is right, but..." Christopher sighed. "He's also attacking my brother, and spreading things about him. Bastard."

Pandora pursed her lips. "I'll hex him."

"You would?"

"Of course I would."

"Thanks."

Pandora was quiet for a long moment before asking, "Why didn't you tell me?"

"Hm?"

"About...your father?"

Christopher's face went blank for a beat, before he said, "Why would I want anyone to know about that? That I have a father like that? I don't think anyone who was in my situation would want anyone to know."

Pandora sighed, she knew he was right there, but there was something she didn't quite understand. "I met your dad before, he seemed...nice, I don't understand – was it all an act? Well, of course, it was, but...why? Why would someone go as far as to make themselves look good for others they don't even know that well, but be so horrible to their own sons?"

"Some people are just like that." Christopher said, quietly. "But it's fine, I won't have to deal with him anymore. I talked to Dumbledore about it. He said that my brother, and I will be going to a children's home."

Pandora asked, "Why did you just tell? Why didn't you tell Dumbledore years ago?"

"I'm not very thrilled about this – what's happening." Christopher said. "The only reason I finally told is because...because if we went home this summer, my brother would have been in trouble. A lot of kids in our situation would rather stay in it because they are together or they are scared. With me, it was the mix of the two, and the other reason I told was because I knew with only the two of us, we would be able to stay together. Even though I am not looking forward to going to a home, my brother will be safer there, and we will be together."

Pandora gave a small nod, and looked at all the crumbled papers scattered across the room. "What were you doing? Writing a letter?"

Christopher sighed, and rolled over onto his back so he was now looking up at the ceiling. "You know, with how my dad likes to pertain his image to the public eye, I thought that he would...I don't know, at least try to fight for custody of us. He would lose, but...I don't know. It's stupid."