Moving out the front door and locking up behind me, I kept low and in the shadows. Dressed in all black, I'm a shadow in the darkness moving along the side of the deck, I slip into the trees and disappear.

Anthony

The dark has been a haven for me. In the brig and now out here in the woods. I've spent so much time out here lately it is a second home. Waiting in the dark for my moment to come, I find my patience and an adrenaline rush as I hear the front door latch.

It's time. The soft creak of the closet door is the only sound in the house as I slip out from my hiding spot. Silently, I move through the house, making sure it isn't a trap. I've had time to learn every inch of the floor plan. I've studied the drawing, I've been inside several times now when no one else was here. I've gone through everything, from her old laptop to her underwear drawer. I know Cassie inside out. Add to the equation the child and McKennan there's a thrill in my excitement for the climax that is coming.

I've spent time here with her unaware, watching Cassie toss and turn in bed. She never was a peaceful sleeper. I take great pride in knowing I have helped increase her anxiety and I plan on taking full advantage of every weakness I have discovered. I'll wait for her. Just so I can take my time punishing her. First, I'll get my greatest pleasure and go out to hunt.

Of course, once McKennan is out of the way, I can cause the Colonel the same kind of pain my own family has suffered. Standing at the base of the stairs I smile looking up at the dimly lit hallway above me. She isn't alone. The red-headed bimbo is no real threat to me. She's as weak as Cassie.

I could take a moment to enjoy the pleasure of the fear I can cause both of them. Would they scream out in fear if I go to the door they're hiding behind? Would they run or fight back? That would add to the pleasure, to watch them panic, running in fear believing they can escape me. It would add to the thrill of the chase. Enhancing the salacious nature of need racing through my veins.

Maybe a quick visit upstairs. Would she know that it's me? Will she cry out for her new lover? I expected Cassie to turn to McKennan. She's weak enough to allow a man like that to control her. It's unfortunate really. If she had been true, I might have been easier on her. I might not have drawn out the torment I'm going to put her through. But she wasn't faithful, so I'll be putting her through the slow agonizing process of dying, making her watch her friend and child die first.

Travis

Walking in the dark safety of the forest shadows, there's a cool breeze blowing a storm in. Chilling me to the bone, a shiver goes down my spine. It isn't just the cold air that has my blood turning cold and my heart to ice. It is the Marine in me, who has seen too much, knows too much, that is emerging once again.

Ready and alert, I slide into position. Standing in the shadows of the trees behind the house, I searched the darkness. There is only a slither of a moon out tonight. The clouds have darker shadows that easily cover anyone hiding in the darkness. I know I'm safe in the shadows. I've had to be stealth in the face of danger many times before. Watching the house, I see movement on the bottom floor, exactly where Cassie shouldn't be.

She promised to stay put with Mel. Cursing quietly, I keep watching the shadow that moves across the window, and through the house. Could he have gotten in? Could I have been mistaken and set Cassie up for danger? I have to believe I was right about my instincts.

Pulling out my binoculars, I see the shadow moving toward the stairs. A man, easily identified when he swivels around and I get a glimpse of his face. Dean! Dear God! She's not protected in there. I start to move from the safety of my hiding spot and stop. This could be exactly what Dean wants me to do.

I have to follow my gut. I've never been wrong. Second guessing myself isn't the way I work. Stepping back into the shadows, I watch and wait. If Cassie is in trouble I'm right here, close enough to get back to her. And if I'm right, Dean enjoys the slinking around and tormenting her more than the actual kill.

"Think like a marine McKennan not a man in love." Reminding myself of the job I was sent here to do, I raise the binoculars again and watch the house.

Cassie

"Travis?" I whisper, hearing movement outside the door. I move toward the door, keeping between the crib and the door but I don't speak again. My breath turns ragged as I listen for something to happen.

Mel turns and stares at the door, her gun is aimed at chest level, ready to fire if anyone decides to get through the deadbolt. Her hands are steadier than mine, while my heart pounds in my chest. The adrenaline rush pulses through my veins. I don't think Mel has ever shot a person before, but if it means me, Jacob or her own life, Mel will make the shot count.

Cold fingers of fear dance along my spine as I watch the doorknob turn. Reaching out I almost unlock the deadbolt when my hand stops. No, it isn't Travis. He would have said something to identify himself. Without a word, I turn and gather my sleeping child into my arms. Holding him tight to my chest, I back away from the door as far as I can in the small room. Mel steps in front of us, ready to fight.

"You stay back darlin'. Nobody's gonna touch that sweet baby." Mel whispers.

The familiar quake in my stomach and the trembling of my hands has me realizing Travis is no longer in the house. Despite Mel's remark, my eyes scan the room for something to protect myself and my son with. I've child-proofed the room so much there is nothing in there to harm a soul. The drops of sweat slide down my spine as I clutch my so tight to my chest. I won't give in without a fight. Anthony will have a fight on his hands before I will ever let him touch Jacob.

Mel sees the shadow under the door shift as I do. The creek of the floorboards, and the squeak of a door, the old house is anything but quiet when someone is moving around out there. We stayed silent and still in the darkness. I brushed my hand against the curtain, allowing it to slide to one side. I'm able to glance out into the backyard to the woods behind the house. I can barely see Travis in the distant shadows. Just the faint outline of his body is visible, but I know it's him. My body shivers from the cold sweat that I feel run over my skin.

"Travis, get back here." Talking under my breath, I beg for him to return. Moving again, I get out of view from the window.

Colonel

A van and truck pull up short on the long road to the house. No one will be leaving the premises without getting past them. If they are heading down this road, one of them will catch them. Motioning with my hands, I gave the orders to the four other men. Silently, they disperse into the darkness.

I served with Colonel McAfferty years ago, before I became a S.E.A.L. The two of us lost contact over the years, but knowing the kind of a man the Colonel is, I have a fierce loyalty for my old friend. With Cassie in trouble, I swore to be there in my friend's place to protect her.

The men moved in teams of two, each circling around the house at the tree line. No one would even know we were there. All the men I brought were S.E.A.L.'s, who trained and served with me. There is a bond between us which keeps us together, even after our time of service. The training we received was drilled into our heads so many years ago. It made falling back into the old training feel like getting right back on the bike. Settling into position we wait for our orders.

Please remember to vote comment and share if you are enjoying this book thank you