2

THE NEXT DAY WAS BETTER. . . AND WORSE. it was better because it wasn't raining yet, though the clouds were dense and opaque. it. was easier because i knew what to expect of my day with bella and our new friend group. mike came to sit by me and bella in english, and walked us to our next class, with chess club eric glaring at him all the while; that was flattering for bella.

people didn't look at us quite as much as they had yesterday. i sat with a big group at lunch that included mike, eric, jessica, bella, and several other people whose names and faces i now remembered. i began to fell like i was treading water, instead of drowning in it.

it was worse because i was still tired; i still couldn't sleep with the wind echoing around the house; neither could bella. it was worse because Mr. Varner called on bella in Trig when her hand wasn't raised; mine was though, yet he called on her. she told me that she had the wrong answer to begin with. it was miserable for her. she had ti play volleyball, and the one time she didn't cringe out of the way, she hit our teammate in the head with it. and it was worse because edward cullen wasn't in school at all.

all morning i was dreading lunch, fearing his bizarre glares. part of me wanted ti confront him and demand fo know what his problem of me was. while i was lying sleepless in my bed, i even imagined what i would say. but i knew myself too well to think i would really have the guts to do it. when i walked in the lunchroom with jessica trying ti keep my eyes from sweeping the place for him, and failing entirely—i saw that his four siblings of sorts were sitting together at the same table, and he was not with them.

mike intercepted us and steered us to his table. jessica seemed elated by the attention, and her friends quickly joined us. but as i tried to listen to their easy chatter, i was terribly uncomfortable, waiting nervously for the moment he would arrive. i hopes that he would simply ignore me when he came, and prove my suspicions false.

he didn't come, and as time passed i grew more and more tense.

i walked to biology with more confidence when by the end of lunch, he still hadn't showed. mike, who was taking on the qualities of a golden retriever, walked faithfully by my side to class. i held my breath at the door, but Edward Cullen wasn't there, either.