Chapter Two

There was dust all around, as most of the buildings that stood tall and erect, were either turned into rubble, or were lopsided. The alleyway had huge walls on each side, which looked like they were about to collapse any moment. We managed to run to an open space nearby, where all the other  survivors had gathered, panting and out of their wits end.

I tried to look for any familiar faces amidst the crowd but it was like a bunch of strangers freaking out together. 

"Where did these people come from?" I asked mom.

"Honey, they are our neighbors." She replied, astonished at my ignorance.

I didn't recognize them. It was like I never paid enough attention to my surroundings. I was too reserved and focused on only one person in the neighborhood. As I remembered him, I started freaking out. I didn't know where he was. I guessed he went for an outing. Did he survive or not?

As soon as the thought crossed my mind, the earth started shaking again. I clung onto my mom as we swayed, along with all the strangers umm... the neighbors around.

This one lasted for about 30 seconds and the word 'apocalypse' crossed everyone's mind at some point. I was still hugging my mom as a sense of relief washed over me. Ben was coming with his flatmates. They were home and were okay.

He saw me too, and smiled. Despite the circumstances, I could not help blushing. I managed to smile back at him. Did he know I lived next door to him?

Sure we did cross paths now and then. But we never really talked. I don't think he knew my name anyways.

He looked like he was taking a shower when the quake hit. Explains his late appearance.

My mom let me go and went to talk to a woman, whom she knew on a first-name basis. Since when did my mom become more social than me? I was left stranded in a crowd full of strangers shouting.

As I looked around hopelessly, Ben walked towards me and I froze.

"Hey, glad you're alright."

"Me too. I mean that you're alright. Not me, but you." I let out a nervous giggle. Talking first time to your first crush, is not an easy feat I tell you.

"I'm Ben. I live next door." He extended his hand towards me. I shook hands with him.

"I'm Megan. Whoa........"

The earth shook again and we collided. I clung onto Ben for support and closed my eyes, praying that it will be over soon. As the quake subsided, I opened my eyes and realized, to my utter embarrasment, that I was holding onto Ben for my life. I let go and muttered an apology.

Ben, on the other hand, seemed amused.

"What?" I asked, slightly annoyed that he was enjoying my embarrasment and discomfort.

"Nothing. You just move fast." He teased, with a stupid smirk on his face. I mean who jokes around at a time like that?

"Stop making fun of me, I was scared. Aren't you scared?"

"Well, yes of course. But if something is to happen, it will happen anyways."

"Fate?"

He nodded.

"What were you doing when the quake hit for the first time?" I asked boldly.

He chuckled. 

"We, me and the boys, we had a late one last night. You know, watching sports, drinking, well boys stuff. So, I woke up late and had just finished taking my shower when the earth shook. I had half a mind to walk out with a towel wrapped around my waist, but thought better of it, and waited." He shrugged.

My inner voice said to him, "Thank God you didn't walk out in a towel."

"So, what about you?" He asked.

"I was ready to go out with my friends."

Crap! My friends. I needed to call them.

I took out my phone but there was no reception. Ben took out his phone and gave it to me.

"Thank you." I said as I dialled.