Memories

I spun around and screamed.

Behind me was a man with no face, just a slit where a mouth should be. The slit curved into a disgusting smile.

"Thank you for coming, darling."

Everything repulsed me about him. He wore a suit, hands tucked into his pockets. Nothing of his skin was visible but his neck and face. His tone was a sickly grey. He was huge. A giant, even.

"I think a deal is in order. After all, I can give you sweet relief from this dream gone so awry."

I said nothing. In this moment I knew nothing, my fear was so complete.

"I need you to survive. I need this place to survive. You need this place as well. We have the same goal."

He walked closer. I was paralyzed. I couldn't speak. I couldn't move. I could only listen.

"You will do as I say, if only for your own survival. You can have control again. All you need to do, is make one small choice. And you will have this home forever."

He took one massive hand out of his pocket. In his palm was a small, white, tablet.

"Forget."

I took a step closer.

"Control."

I reached out my hand. Was I going to make the same choice that girl in the shower did? Was this real control?

I snatched the roofie from his palm. I stared at it. I would rather have a pretend home, pretend memories, and fake control, than give up my sanity. I popped it in my mouth and swallowed.

I woke up confused.