Girl

My old kitchen was small. Barely enough room for two people. This place had the most good memories, which is why my bad memories hadn't penetrated this room yet.

I could smell a faint whiff of pancakes and syrup. Christmas music played faintly like a long -lost memory. I was filled with nostalgia. Everything about this room was warm and welcoming.

Through the ceiling cabinets, I could see the bar stools and piles of school books. I wasn't surprised to see a small girl in a ridiculous array of clothing. I was like that when I was small. A battered red jacket, a Halloween princess costume, a stolen pair of heels, and wooden knifes shoved into every pocket.

"I'm waiting for mamma. When the music plays, she always makes pancakes."

I smiled at her. This was me at 9. Curious, happy, a life with a routine. I didn't understand how the world really worked. I didn't care how I dressed, what people thought of me, just how much fun I could have at that exact moment.

"What are you reading?"

"A adventure book. People died in this book. Also there was a bad word."

I said things so matter-of-factly. So honest. I hadn't been trained by the inevitable shocks of life to lie. For me, everything was to be explored. Bad words and death were just puzzles to me. Little girl, I've seen your future. Be thankful for your ignorance.

"Really? Sounds interesting."

"Mamma should be here. Why isn't she here? Who are you?"

"She'll be here soon. Did you see anyone else around?"

The girl squinted her eyes to remember.

"Yes... I do. A really big man. And a couple girls. Twins or sisters or something."

"Where did they come from?"

The girl pointed to a open door. The basement.

"The man tried to grab me, but I stabbed him with my knife."

The girl held up a wooden knife, it's tip was coated in black blood. Not enough to make a big wound, but enough to make a decent scratch.

"He said he would be back..." The girl looked concerned. "I think he'll get me."

"Darling, I won't let that happen. He can't get you. Be very, very happy. You're mother will be here soon."

Her little eyes brightened. "Really?"

"I promise. Just tell me where the man went so I can tell him to leave."

A cloud of worry fell over her face, but was replaced by relief. "He went down the hall. I'm not sure what door."

She pointed to a door close to the basement.

"Thank you."