Chapter 34- Games we play

Start from the beginning

Dorian's voice rings in my head like needles piercing through my skull.

Next, the conversation seems blurry, but it appears I told him about the project in a certain way. I told him the truth. I don't want her. She is a nice girl. I cannot back out because even though we don't fit I respect her. I respect her too much to let her down. We will do this together.

Only for this project... if I see you otherwise. If you-

If I touch her you will ruin everything that is dear to me... I understand.

Don't see this as a challenge, I warn you.

"Why are you here?" She brings me out of my thoughts and there is a relief that I hear her voice once again and it isn't broken and no tears in sight.

"To kill you." I whisper under my breath.

The only thing that makes me believe time doesn't stand still is the howling of the wind.

She lets out a laugh, louder than probably intended, but oh does it make my lips twitch.

"Ha. Ha. Ha. You are so funny."

"I am aware that my presence has caused some ladies to smile at me before. I am grateful."

My smile widens as she rolls her eyes.

I take the bottle and put it to my lips before I step forward. She eyes me suspiciously as I stretch my hand out. She lays her hand in mine and my palm closes around her dry skin that is etched with cold. I automatically rub my thumb over the arid spots, causing me to bite my inner cheek in regret.

Blame it on alcohol tomorrow, Graham.

There is warmth spreading through me as I lead her away from our current position.

Seeing the familiar bench, I know where my unconsciousness led me even as I take one step after another.

"You have any idea where you want to go or should I start praying that we don't end up in the woods getting tattered by wolves?"

"I just want to sit here and don't worry, my mother grew up in Bavaria. She didn't have much money and wanted me to stay down to earth. I spent many summers in her childhood home and if I could describe the most sheltered place it would be that one. Believe me, I know how to survive under a few trees. Come on, this is America. Wolves are our smallest problem." I explain, ending my sentence with a huff.

"That might be true. In high school I was selected for a scholarship in a finance project in Frankfurt. It may be a big city but goddamn it I have never seen so many trees and mountains as on the way there. I adored it." She replies, clearly reminiscing.

"We have two properties in and around Frankfurt. If you like it we could go back there together one day."

"What?" She frowns at me, obviously thinking I am joking.

"Nothing, forget it." I fake a smile, trying to get away from the topic.

She obviously doesn't want to let go of it but she forces herself to get her head away.

"We are behind schedule. You and I only met twice alone and only a handful of times with the kids. It would have been better if we had already created a real relationship with them and the foster parents, and had dinner with them. We have nothing." I hold my bottle out to her, offering a drink.

She thanks me and lifts it to her lips.

"That's why you are here? After nearly killing somone, nearly being killed you run after me to tell me we are behind on a college task? Unbelievable." She looks me in the face, studying my features. Don't try to figure me out.