Chapter 15

A lot of things have changed ever since Jeanette's and Oscar's friendship started to blossom.

There was this one day that one of her classmates sheepishly walked up to her and Oscar at lunch, wanting to sit with them.

To sit with Jeanette?!

That had never happened to her before.

Oscar enthusiastically nodded and the girl sat down opposite Jeanette.

Slowly, more people would come the days after.

At first Jeanette would feel a little self-conscious about so many people swarming around her all of a sudden, but she calmed down when Oscar scooted even closer to her on the bench to make room for another person, their thighs bumped and touching under the table.

He seemed to flourish in such settings, full of people, full of his friends, and Jeanette couldn't help but feel pulled into the energy, into the glee of his and soon found herself saying something, making the others laugh.

And they found out that she isn't actually as bad as they thought of her by even a little bit, that she's actually so nice and funny after giving her a chance.

Sure, they only gave her a chance because of Oscar, but it didn't really matter to her.

What mattered to her was that she, Jeanette, finally felt as a part of her class, finally felt as she belonged.

And she started to believe that her name was finally living up to its true meaning.

Only she had hoped too early.