Chapter 15

" It has oft been said that physicians make the worst patients, but it is the opinion of This Author that any man makes a terrible patient. 

One might say it takes patience to be a patient, and heaven knows, the males of our species lack an abundance of patience. "

LADY WHISTLEDOWN'S SOCIETY PAPERS, 9 MAY 1814

"Brother", Daphne called out, entering his study. Anthony hastily put away the engagement ring he was examining.

"Sister", he greeted her in return.

"Mama has her ball all set for you", Daphne said, looking over his table as she walked closer. 

"Just her?", Anthony asked, looking up at his sister. "Are you to tell me you had no hand in it?".

"Well, we have both been planning, certainly", Daphne replied with no hint of embarrassment. "But our plans do not require yours to be set".

Anthony returned to looking at the papers in front of him. He took a sip of his whiskey, and Daphne could not help but think it was a little too early for it. But she did not comment and instead walked to the side of the table to be closer to her brother.

"Miss Edwina, she is lovely", Daphne said gently. "I am certain she will make the perfect wife".

"Do you still not like her?", Anthony asked, not looking up from his papers.

"I never said I did not like her", Daphne argued immediately. Antony looked up at her. "I only wonder if you truly know each other well enough".

"Is that not what marriage is for?", Anthony asked.

"Well, yes, but it helps if you share similarities", Daphne replied, hoping to get through to her brother. "Like you do with the Princess".

Her brother looked away as she mentioned it, and decidedly ignored her.

"How was your hunt with the Princess yesterday, by the way? You have not mentioned anything about it", Daphne continued, walking to stand right in front of him again.

"I certainly miss His Grace", Anthony said, not looking up. "In the Duke's short absence, you have become quite meddlesome. Have you not?".

Anthony finally looked up at her, putting down his papers. The smile on his face had disappeared, and Daphne felt that she had to say something, she just did not know what.

"Do not concern yourself", he said, and stood up, walking out of his office, leaving his dear sister Daphne behind.

The ball was turning out to be decidedly an exciting and elegant affair. There were fresh flowers, and food was prepared and served. The music was delightful and everyone was dressed in beautiful, well-cut clothes that complimented them. Except for perhaps the Featheringtons but that is to be expected.

Ferdinand escorted Amelia, now that they were engaged, to the ball. The news of their engagement was announced before the ball began, and now everyone deemed it their priority to congratulate them personally.

But, now that she was engaged, Amelia's dancing card somehow remained full. Even if Ferdinand stood next to her the entire time gentlemen approached asking her for a dance. But especially when Ferdinand is away to get her lemonade, do gentlemen approach boldly.

However, all Amelia can focus on is Anthony who was on the dance floor himself, dancing the first two dances with Miss Edwina Sharma. Two dances... he was very serious about courting Miss Edwina then.