Chapter Eleven

Uncle Billy and I were getting ready for a movie night when I brought up my encounter with my dad.

"And how did that go?" he asked, chomping down on his bowl of popcorn as he pressed the play button on the TV remote.

"Better than I expected," I replied, watching the opening credits. "I made plans to try and meet up with him next time he is in town."

"That's good. I did like him before he bailed on your mom. We played ball together."

"Yes, you've said. Anyway, it was brief and my decision was impulsive."

Uncle Billy chuckled, "But it will be good for you both."

"I know... So, I think I am going to go to the Sunday service. Josh is going to pick me up."He nodded, but said nothing."Is that okay?"

"Of course, Myrtle."I watched him a moment, but his expression didn't change.

"What book was Mom reading before finding out she was pregnant?" I asked after a while. "You were interrupted and I forgot to ask about it earlier."

"I have it, actually," he replied, getting up. "I'll be right back."

He disappeared into the hallway and suddenly, Ariel was there. Her expression was alert and she watched the hallway with intent. Ezequiel appeared beside me.

"Do most people suffer loss for as long as he has?" I asked, keeping my voice low.

He replied, "Everyone suffers and mourns differently... But yes, there are a lot of people who suffer this long."

Suddenly, my uncle was calling out and my chest filled with panic. I was on my feet and hurrying to his room. He was on the floor clutching his chest.

"What's the matter? What hurts?" I asked, dropping to his side.

When he didn't respond, I froze. My entire body and my mind went numb. But then I remembered there were others in the room with me. I looked up at Ariel and Ezequiel.

"Help," I said and they sprang into action.

I clung to my purse strap as I paced in the waiting room

I clung to my purse strap as I paced in the waiting room. How we ended up St. George's Hospital was a blur. I couldn't even remember the ambulance ride. Ariel was with my uncle while Ezequiel waited with me.

"I can't lose him," I said as I went on pacing. "He's always been there... Is he going to be okay?"

"Have faith," Ezequiel answered and I looked at him. "Faith can move mountains."

"How can I have faith when all I feel is fear?"

He tilted his head, looking upward. I watched him, waiting.

"I always knew we would meet this way."

I swung around as the owner of the new voice appeared at the end of the hallway.

"Who are you?" I asked, tightening my grip on my purse.

"I am precisely what you feel," he replied, approaching slowly. "That pain and anguish are what summons me... I can make it go away."

I stepped back, nearing Ezequiel and he stepped in front of me. Somehow I knew this strange man was not to be welcomed.

"Stay away from me," I said, peeking around Ezequiel's broad frame.

The man started laughing, sinister and malicious. His entire demeanor was dark and very unlike the Guardians.

"I'll see you again, Myrtle-Rose," he said, turning around and walking through the doorway. The way he said my name sent chills over my body; he was not supposed to say my name, I just felt it.

"How do I increase my faith?" I whispered as Ezequiel turned to face me.

"Call Carol or Josh," he replied, motioning to my purse. "Tell them what is happening and ask them to pray for you and your uncle."

Without another word, I pulled out my phone and called Carol. It wasn't so late that she would be asleep, at least I hoped she wouldn't be.

"Myrtle, hi!"

"Carol," I said and my tears started again. "I'm in the hospital. Uncle Billy passed out from some kind of pain in his chest. Would you please pray for him?"

"Of course honey. Hold on."

I heard something scuffling around on her end and the jingle of keys.

"Hang tight sweetie," she said in a calm voice. "I'll be there in fifteen minutes, okay?"

"Okay," I replied as the call ended.

"Myrtle!"

I looked up, surprised when I heard Josh's voice. He was sprinting toward me with Carol following close behind. I crumpled as a sense of relief came over me.

He pulled me into a tight hug as I asked, "I wasn't expecting you to come, too."

"I wasn't about to let Aunt Carol leave without me," he replied, rubbing my shoulders. "Besides, wherever two or more are gathered in His name, there He will be in their midst."

"Let's sit over here," I heard Carol say and Josh guided me back to the chairs where I had been sitting. Josh and Carol sat on either side of me, taking my hands into theirs.

"Myrtle," Carol said, squeezing my hand. "I know this is a tough situation you're in, but God can use it to His glory. I want you to agree with this prayer in your heart. As we agree together, our prayer will be heard."

I nodded, closing my eyes as she began to pray.

"Gracious Father in Heaven," she said with authority. "We come before you in humility and honor. I lift up Myrtle's uncle, our dear friend William, and ask that You would come and touch him in his current state. Heal him, Lord. We agree and declare healing, in Jesus' Name. It is in Your Word that whatever we bind on Earth shall be bound in Heaven, and what we loose on Earth shall be loosed in Heaven. We loose Your healing over William, that he may rise up as he was before. We bind every lie and threat of ailment, and we send it back to where it came from, in Jesus' Name."

"And we pray for Myrtle's faith to be restored and strengthened," Josh added, squeezing my other hand. "Give her peace and comfort her in this hour. Minister to her needs, Lord. In Jesus' Name, amen."

My tears continued to fall, but this time it was not the pain and anguish I felt. It was peace and comfort.  And as I opened my eyes, my gaze fell on Ezequiel. He was kneeling next to our group and his hand was on the center of my chest. It was almost like his hand was a magnet, and he was drawing out all the fear.

[wordcount:1087]

Protecting Myrtle-Rose | #ONC2023 (on hold)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara