Chapter Eight

The sound was nothing short of heavenly. No other adjectives were needed, it was heavenly. They were singing with the musicians, with the congregation. I remembered when the cricket video was going viral, this was just like that. But better. The peace was abundant and I still wanted more.

I was familiar with the first three hymns, but as the band transitioned into a contemporary song, I started to get a little lost. Thankfully, the lyrics were being projected across multiple screens behind the podium.

"Brethren, we're going to take a moment to receive prayer requests," Joshua said as the singers lowered their voices to gentle hums and the instruments were played softer. "We are passing around some note paper and envelopes. You can put your name on them, or leave them anonymous, as you feel comfortable. We are not reading any of them aloud, but as we've all learned. Writing them down in this way is just a form of action. First Peter five-seven says, Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for us."

Carol was prepared with a spare pen as a piece of note paper and a small envelope found their way into my hands.

"I'm not sure what to write down," I whispered, twirling the pen in my fingers.

"It doesn't have to be something for yourself," she replied, scribbling away at her own paper. "It can be for a loved one, someone you met on the street. Closure from a struggle."

Uncle Billy entered my mind and I knew what I should write. Something inside of me affirmed my decision as I wrote his name. I wanted him to find closure from Mom's death. He needed to find peace, this peace.

I returned Carol her pen and folded the paper small enough to slide into the envelope. A plate was passed to me and I placed the envelope with the others.

"Once all prayer requests are received, we will have a prayer of dedication. While my friends are collecting those prayers, I want to welcome our guests."

Joshua looked at something on the podium beside him and smiled as he looked up around the room.

"Farrah Dee, would you mind standing so we can see where you are?" he asked, straightening as a young woman three rows ahead rose to her feet. "Jake, you're this lovely visitor's neighbor. Please give Farrah a handshake on everyone's behalf."

Farrah laughed as an elderly gentleman stood and shook her hand. The two Guardians standing at each of their sides were smiling at the exchange. It was interesting to watch as more visitors were introduced. Some didn't mind speaking about themselves while others declined from embarrassment.

"It's okay to be shy," Joshua chuckled, "believe me! I totally get it. I was in your shoes a few years ago. It takes a bit of guts to stand up in a new place. But we do this because we want you to know that we want you here. Whether you decide to stay or not, you're not leaving here feeling the same... Now, last but not least, can Myrtle-Rose stand for us?"

I exhaled as I placed my hands on the back of the pew in front of me, and used it as mild leverage to push me to my feet.

"There's a note here that says you came with Carol," Joshua went on as he looked at her. "Do you mind me asking how you know her?"

"I just started working in her shop," I replied, clearing my throat as Carol bounced to her feet.

"And can I ask what brought you here?"

I said, "I was in a bus accident the other day and the only reason I'm standing here right now is a miracle. And Carol has spoken about her prayer meetings before. I kinda invited myself."

The smile on that young man's face.

"Welcome, Myrtle-Rose," he said, motioning to me with his free hand. "We're glad to have you. Since you already know Carol, I'm gonna ask Sister Gabriela, to shake your hand."