Chapter 2 - New Old Home

Start from the beginning

"In any case, I've got myself a date with a beautiful, bubbly cauldron." Garreth excitedly claimed. "Oh?" Terra chuckled, "Maybe while you're at it, you can brew yourself a new personality." Garreth snorted, "Ouch! Nice play. 10 points." He raised his glass and she met with hers for a cheers. "How about you? What mischief will you be up to?

Terra took her drink, swirling it around a bit while thinking.

"Honestly, probably none at all. Assuming I gain rights to the Morganach house, my summer's likely to be filled with dusty cobwebs and devil's snare. I'm positively," she paused to take another swig of her drink, "thrilled."

It was quite a bit of sarcasm there, but only to hide her excitement. The house may be nice one day, but Terra was more interested in the secrets of the basement. It was mostly intact, and she needed to secure the research underneath and direct path to the Undercroft. But it's not as if Garreth needed to know that.

"Wait. Feldcroft, right?" Garreth took another sip of his butterbeer and set it aside. "Isn't Sallow also from there? You're Slyther-friends! Why not get him to help you move in."

Terra knew it was a good idea. A great idea, if it weren't for the fact she had not properly talked to Sebastian since the House Cup. At least she talked more with Ominis, whether small chat about Crossed Wands or Imelda's flight records. It's not as if she was avoiding the two; surprisingly, Sebastian sent an owl saying she could visit anytime.

But something held her back from reaching out. Terra spent ample time over the year with Sebastian and Ominis, helping out and sharing deep secrets. Dead secrets—the kind you would think would forge an unshakable bond, tested in fire and inferi. But while Terra tried to convince herself her friendships were true, something kept making her second guess herself. Or rather, someone—Anne.

Was Terra a friend? Or was she a replacement?

It was not a suspicion at first. But as the term came to a close, so did the conversations. The late night adventures. The bond that kept the three of them together. Sebastian had barely glanced at her in the halls. She convinced herself that they were all friends, but if it weren't for Anne, would she know either of them so well?

She tried burying that guilty thought.

"I suppose so. Shouldn't be too hard to send an owl." Terra's words came out in a lower, reluctant voice. Garreth caught the hesitation immediately, smirking to himself. He stretched back in his seat, arms raised above his head. He yawned into a laugh.

Reassuring her, Garreth implored "Do it. No time like the present. And besides, I'm sure Sebastian'd love to hear from you."

Skeptical, Terra scrunched her nose. But before Terra had a chance to reply, Professor Weasley returned to the table—and with a surprise guest.

"Mr. Ndiaye!"

Terra got up from her seat and shook his hand. Bernard Ndiaye, manager of the little shop in Feldcroft, was a welcome sight.

"Oh hello! If it isn't my favorite customer! It's so very good to see you again."

"Just the same, Mr. Ndiaye," Terra replied.

"I have had a very enlightening conversation with Sirona and Ms. Weasley here. Something about being neighbors?"

Terra nodded. "Indeed, sir. We wanted to see if the Morganach home was up for sale. I am a... distant relative, and wanted to move into the hamlet."

"Absolutely, of course! I'm sure the others would welcome you with open arms, relative or not. What with you helping collect my chomping cabbages, and defending us against Ranrok's Loyalists—oh! Twice, I reckon. A neighbor like you would be a wonderful addition."