Austraila

Father would bring us in the hostpital room to see mother dead. Or so I thought. I felt tears prick my eyes. Would France be lying on the bed, ready to say her last words? Or would all of her life be gone from her body when we get there? Why was father merely smiling, his eyes lost in their own world?

My mind was racing, and I started to feel dizzy. I grabbed ahold of America's arm and gripped on tightly, but it wasn't like he noticed me. He looked across into the hopsital rooms with a look of horror fixed on his face.

Suddenly, father stopped, his smile dazzling brighter. He opened the door and ran inside and I gasped. Mother was lying on the bed, smiling down at a bundle of blankets. I rushed towards and squealed, "Maman!" with my arms out but father pulled me back. 

"Mother's still sick, but look at who's she holding." Father whispered to me. 

"Whaddo you mean, who?" Ame came to my side peering over my head. 

"Hi, dear," France smiled at me and murmered. "Look at him," 

France lowered the bundle to my level and I peeped in to see a little baby face staring up at me. "Meet Austraila," She said.

I stroked him, and he closed his beautiful amber eyes and smiled slightly. 

"You're an older sister now," Father said.