75 • The mending • 75

Start from the beginning

"The Principal gave me a warning after that, probably more sympathetic because of the situation at home. But that's the thing, Charlotte. I agree with Dad that time wouldn't have been a healthy environment for you. I wasn't nice; I used to bully Tommy all the time when we were kids. I don't know how I would have treated you back then if I had found out my parents had split up and that Dad had a kid with another woman. I mean, even when you've been my stepsister, I haven't always treated you right, and I've been a jerk to you, and I'm sorry for that. You didn't deserve it. But It could have been even worse when we were younger."

I give him a small smile, "I guess the important thing is that you've learnt from those experiences. We all make mistakes, but It shows you — people can change."

Harry gives me an apologetic smile, and the rest of our family entering the back garden catches our attention. I wince, realising the same thing could apply to my mother. There was a slight chance she could learn from this and change.

"Do you think my Mom can change?" I questioned, in a slight whisper to Harry, hoping no one else could hear me. "Do you think she could try too? I mean, she's never seen things from my perspective and has never tried to. But we can't continue like that anymore; I need her to listen and not treat me like a problem anymore."

Harry sighs and looks at me, "I don't know. I hate your Mom right now. I get where she came from, but she's got to accept how much everything's affected you and that she doesn't treat you right."

I nod, agreeing with him. Then my mother's shrilling voice gets my attention.

"God, Charlie. You know how to scare me disappearing like that —"

"— Mom, drop the theatrics," I state, cutting her off, wanting to get to the point. I knew what I wanted when I came here, and my conversation with Harry only solidified that more. "I want you to listen to me now."

My Mom hesitates and glances at Peter, but Peter nods.

"I know you want me home, and I will come home, but I've got two conditions," I said.

I watch my Mom purse her lips and look at me hesitantly, but she doesn't say anything. Instead, she nods her head and crosses her arms over her chest.

Behind her, I see Sebastian and Tommy watching me cautiously. I realise nobody will like what I have to say, but it's the only way.

I knew my Mom had custody of me, and I didn't have much power in deciding where I lived as a minor, but I had one card I could play.

"I want to go away and stay with my Dad for a couple of weeks. Then, once I've had some space from everything, I'll come back if, when I do, you will be willing to listen to me going forward and stop demonising my every move."

The air around me stiffened, and everyone watched me with surprise or hostility. Nobody liked what I had to say. I wasn't surprised. I'd expected it.

"Absolutely not." My mother snaps, "you don't even like Mark. What makes you think it would be a good idea for you to go and stay with him?"

I scoffed. Wasn't this both of my parent's idea to begin with?

"Because it's necessary to fix the damage already done, and I want to fix things with everyone, including my Dad."

I knew now I had relationships to mend, and despite hating my father for leaving, I realise now he'd done way more for me than he ever had to, but he wanted to. Of course, it hurt what he did, but if he was willing to, I wanted to try and mend what had been broken.

"But you'd be leaving your home, Charlie. It's not the same thing." Tommy said, hurt lacing his tone.

"It will be temporary, but there's much to fix with my Dad, Mom, and Peter. But I want to do it with a clear head and get some space from here, and all the drama will be good for me temporarily."