"What is it that you see?"

"He's smiling," she said softly. "It looks like he really likes me so that's why he's always smiling."

A look of surprise flashed across his face and then quickly became laughter.

His gaze fell from her eyes down to her ring finger. Her fingers were very slender and creamy in skin tone, and it looked very nice when she wore that type of ring.

There was a mottled, white stone balustrade where they were standing. He seemed to be concerned that the sun was beating down on her and lead her into a shaded place. Their location was relatively secluded. The whole time, he kept her company and conversed with her, as if he was worried she might be bored. After so many days of spending time with him, she perceived that Zhousheng Chen should actually be someone who was not very talkative, especially when it came to making unnecessary small talk.

Apart from when he was with her. When they were together, he would always think of things to continue to talk about with her.

He was making great efforts, this she could tell, and so, she too was willing to work hard and make the effort for him.

Lunch was in a restaurant at the foot of the mountain. Zhou Wenxing walked beside her and explained to her in a low tone that because her mother was a devoted believer in Buddhism, many years ago, she had built this place specifically for serving and hosting the members of the Zhousheng family and their friends.

Naturally, their meal was a vegetarian one.

When lunch was finished, one of the guests who had come today heard that the girl whom Zhousheng Chen was soon to be betrothed to was present, so right then and there, he wrote a piece of calligraphy artwork[2]. Zhousheng Chen did not know the man, but his mother considerately informed them that this person was a friend of Zhousheng Chen's father and calligraphy written by his hand was of great worth.

This gift was presented so unexpectedly that when Shi Yi received it, she realized that she had nothing on her she could give in return[3].

In a whispered voice, she asked Zhousheng Chen what she should do, but he was unconcerned. In a low tone, he comforted her, this type of situation where a piece of calligraphy was created and presented on the spot was not common, and even if she had no gift to reciprocate, it would not be viewed as being unmannerly. She contemplated for a moment, then addressed the uncle with a smile, "Uncle's calligraphy is something that money cannot buy. Although Shi Yi's paintings cannot compare, I would still like to offer one up in return. I hope Uncle, you will not reject it."

Her tone was respectful and polite, and when this uncle finished listening to her, he gave a cheerful laugh and immediately relinquished the place behind the writing desk to her.

Their discussions were taking place up on the second level of the restaurant. Earlier, in order to enjoy the sight of this uncle's calligraphy, many of the Zhousheng family's guests who were present had stood up to watch. Now, upon hearing that the future wife of the Zhousheng family's eldest son was going to create a painting right then and there, they were even more curious.

What sort of painting skills would this girl, who came from such an ordinary background but had such remarkable beauty, possess?

Zhousheng Chen had not expected that Shi Yi would so calmly state that she would paint.

He was very familiar with her past, so familiar that he could clearly remember every one of her classmates' and friends' names, from when she was in kindergarten up to university. The information he had about this period of her life did not mention that she had ever studied traditional Chinese painting under anyone.