9

Chapter 3.2 - The Zhenjiang of Old (2)

The following morning, Zhousheng Chen came as promised.

The moment she opened the door, Shi Yi was once again stunned. The person before her was surprisingly wearing a pair of rimless glasses. Inside his black suit was a silver-gray dress shirt. Very serious and formal. This Western-style attire emphasized his tall build even more.

With her hand still against the door, Shi Yi forgot to move out of the way. The two of them stood there staring at one another.

Everyone else was being treated as if they were just decorations.

He smiled as he looked at her. "Is it an inconvenient time for me to come in?"

She made herself as much as possible act normally. Curious, she stretched out her hand and waved it in front of his eyes. "You're nearsighted?"

"I have slight farsightedness."

Laughing, she murmured, "Farsightedness? Isn't that just 'old eyes' [presbyopia]?"

Standing behind him was the same driver, who, as usual, had come along with him, as well as two men and two women.

When they heard Shi Yi mutter this, they all wanted to laugh but instead, they only politely bowed their heads to hide their expressions.

Zhousheng Chen did not seem to be bothered by this. He scrutinized her and remarked, "You did not sleep well?"

Puzzled, she answered, "No."

With his finger, he drew an arc under his own eye. "Right here on you seems to indicate that you did not sleep well."

Out of courtesy, he spoke in a very low voice.

Unfortunately, these words still managed to go straight into the ears of the people behind him. Shi Yi was slightly embarrassed that he had exposed the fact in front of these strangers that she had tossed and turned the whole night.

Very luckily for her, her parents had just walked out from the living room to where they were, and it gave her the opportunity to escape for a little while.

As the actual masters of the house, Shi Yi's Little Uncle and Aunt also came out to greet the guests. From the moment he entered the house to when he at last sat down and took the tea presented to him, everything Zhousheng Chen did was above reproach. Even her father, who had previously been somewhat displeased, started to display an approving smile. The whole time prior, Shi Yi had merely watched and observed, and only now was she able to set her heart at ease.

"The body, hair, and skin are all received from the parents.[1]" This was something that was etched deep into her heart, so she of course hoped that her parents would truly like him as well.

From the looks of it, besides finding the five people standing behind him rather peculiar, her older generation family members all seemed to have a very good impression of him.

"Because of health reasons, Mother is unable to journey outside, but she has asked me to express her regards." When Zhousheng Chen said this, the middle-aged man behind him had already placed a box, six or seven feet in length and made of yellow rosewood, on the table. "This is a gift for you, Uncle."

The box was opened, and inside were nine miniature, traditional-style screens standing side by side.

They were mainly made of green jade except for the bases, where the jade was a pale white color. Everyone was somewhat astonished by this gift. Shi Yi carefully looked them over several times and discovered that the most incredible part was the raised scene that had been carved into the screens: migrating geese of autumn filling the sky; pavilions, terraces, and towers; palace maids, each one distinct and unique, inside the tall buildings, some sitting, some lying down, their beautiful hair piled high on their heads.