15

Chapter 5.2 - The Tune of Old (2)

Uncle Lin continued, "The Zhousheng family rules are strict, and no one dares to breach them. Eldest Young Master, you need not be concerned. Zhousheng Heng dares not refuse to relinquish the position of leader."

He placed his hand on the edge of the car window. "Let's go."

No lights had been turned on in the car. There was only the moonlight that shone through the window into the interior.

It was very quiet.

Uncle Lin pulled the car away from the curb into the road and began driving steadily. "Why does Eldest Young Master suddenly want to reverse the current situation? To go against the market trend and attract investment to support Jiangnan's economy?"

Because of fatigue, Zhousheng Chen spoke somewhat slowly. "Within the next five to ten years, China will no longer have the cheapest labour in the world market. The manufacturing plants within the country are closing one after another. 'Made in China' will become 'made in Cambodia', 'made in Vietnam', etc. The massive numbers of unemployed will be an enormous impact and this must be mitigated in advance."

Uncle Lin fell silent.

This Eldest Young Master was unlike everyone else.

From when he entered university at the age of fourteen, he was destined to be different from everyone else. Five to ten years of investing against market trend required a massive network of contacts and significant funds. Currently, the people who were acting for Zhousheng Chen were just distant family members who did not bear the Zhou surname or his group of aides and advisors, but for such a long-term project, it required his full support. But this would inevitably violate the family rule that dictated that any Zhousheng could not enter into business.

Perhaps, without his uncle, Zhousheng Heng, things might have been simpler.

Shi Yi had thought that he would do the same as before, returning to Zhenjiang during the day and then coming again to Shanghai late at night. However, she had not expected that, the next morning, when she came back from the gym of a hotel near her apartment, Zhousheng Chen would already be waiting downstairs for her. She was rather surprised, but he said, "I am here to have breakfast with you." At seven o'clock in the morning, someone suddenly appeared and said he was going to have breakfast with you.

She had the sudden notion that this particular scene was very similar to, when she was still a student, those young boys and girls who would arrive downstairs of the dormitories or beside the entrance to the cafeteria.

As luck would have it, though, she had already eaten.

But he was still hungry.

Shi Yi tentatively asked him if he wanted to go upstairs and she would make him something simple for breakfast. Zhousheng Chen did not decline her suggestion. After she brought him upstairs, though, she realized after the fact that she had nothing but milk and some fruit in her home. There was also Nestle Stars cereal on her kitchen shelves. With sounds of "clink, clink, clink," she filled more than half a bowl with some, poured some milk, cut up a plate of fruit, and served them to him.

He sat beside the dining room table, head bowed as he stared at the cutely shaped stars floating in the milk, somewhat at a loss for words.

"I wasn't sure if you would be used to eating this or not." Shi Yi felt a little embarrassed and she impishly stuck out her tongue a bit. "It's pretty good."

"I'll be used to it," he said, unable to hold back his laughter.

Afraid that it would not be enough for him to eat, she purposely brought out the entire box for him.