chapter 32

He was sitting across from me. His hair was still damp from the pouring rain. I didn't usually mind the rain like most people do. When i walk the streets i always see people looking miserable and hiding from it as if it were critical to their health or something. I was one of those people today. It's been one month since he's woken up, one month since he forgot that he loved me. Today was another adventure, yet another struggle.
"You can't keep doing this Jared." I spoke up after what felt like hours of silence.
He shuffled his feet as if he could not think of what to say. Tears were still running down his cheeks like they usually do after he runs away. Maybe because he felt bad or maybe because he has been constantly terrified of everything for the last month, including me.
There were times where i thought that maybe he could remember the slightest who i was but lately it's like we have to regain everything we had.
My thoughts were interrupted by the now sobs coming from Jared's mouth. I rolled my eyes at the fact that my boyfriend was acting childish but I always felt bad because i know that it isn't his fault.

"Shh, it's okay baby. I'm here." I soothed. As much as i hated the fact that he was usually so distant, i knew i needed to be with him for this.

It was about 3am now and i was exhausted. Lately Jared has surprisingly been asking for me to sleep beside him but thats only because he hates being alone.

So just like basically every night, i took him by the hand and brought him into the bed. He stripped himself of his damp t-shirt and pyjamas, leaving him in his boxers. God, with him looking like that i was so tempted to touch him but i knew those days were over. I jumped into bed and he followed behind me, pulling my waist closer to him so that his bare chest was touching my back.
___________________________

It was about 6 p.m and i was making Jared's favourite, beef stir fry when i got a call from an unknown number. I answered it hoping it wouldn't be another distant relative wishing Jared to get well soon because trust me, that happened almost everyday. You'd think he'd run out of relatives by now.
"Hellooo?" I answered while mixing the last of the vegetables in the frying pan.
"Hi uh, Anna?" The recognizable voice said from the other line.
"Speaking?"
"This is um, Matt."
My heart possibly stopped for a second as i tried to process this. Matt as in the beautiful beach Matt. Matt as in the boy that made me forget about being sad. I was so torn as i looked over at Jared fast asleep on the couch.
"Hey! How are you?" I asked more enthusiastically than i hoped.
"I'm good. I was just visiting New Brunswick for a family vacation that is now basically just me exploring this very strange city." He laughed and it sounded so good even through the phone.
"Wow you're here? That's so great!"
"Yeah and I was hoping maybe we could go get a bite downtown later, you know, if you're not doing anything." He asked and i could hear his breathing had quickened which I thought was adorable.
"I'd love to." I said with a bit of guilt and regret. "Pick me up in an hour?"
"Perfect. See you then Anna." He hung up.
What was I getting myself into?

Matt picked me up right on time for our night out. I decided to dress casual so i wore a pair of ripped boyfriend jeans, a lace tank top and a black cardigan. I straightened my hair which i rarely did even with Jared and i was just finishing my mascara when he knocked at the door.
"Anna, wow, you look even better then when i last saw you." He smiled and embraced me in a hug.
"As do you." i laughed when he squeezed me tighter.
I admit i felt bad leaving Jared at home by himself tonight but in my defence i haven't had any time to myself since his parents took a "stress vacation" a few weeks after Jared's accident.
Right when i was about to walk out, i felt the grasp of Jared's hand on my arm.
"Where are you going?" he said, almost in tears again which tore my heart apart.
"Just out for a bit okay? I left my phone number on the fridge if you need anything. Be good!" I kissed his forehead lightly and walked out with Matt, leaving my helplessly confused boyfriend watching me from the window.
"You're still with him?" He asked out of nowhere.
"Uh, ya. He got in an accident though so he doesn't really remember who i am." I stated, trying not to start crying.
"Oh my god Anna I'm so sorry. I really didn't know."
"That's okay. Happens now more than you think."
"I'll make you forget all that tonight okay? We're gonna have a great time trust me." He smiled at me and turned back to the road. I smiled back and sighed, looking at the window and wishing what he said was right.