This brief little interlude inexplicably seemed to create a slight sense of closeness between the two of them. She could feel her heartbeat had become somewhat irregular, and she turned her head away to continue staring out at the mountain forest shrouded in the misty rain. For her, she truly could not forget him, could not free herself from him. But what about him? Why did he suddenly become engaged? If it was according to as he had said, that he "had a need to be engaged in marriage to someone," then what was the reason for the need?

She belatedly started to mull over these questions.

She wondered, how would they carry out this role of being a betrothed couple?

Observing that she seemed lost in thought, Zhousheng Chen did not speak anymore or disturb her. He was accustomed to being alone so naturally, was also used to not intruding on other people.

When, finally, some scattered buildings appeared in her vision, she heard Zhousheng Chen say, "You will gradually come to realize that I was not calling you into question. All of it was just necessary procedures." His spoke this calmly in a light and measured voice. There was nothing out of the ordinary about his tone, but it was apparent that he said this to make her feel better.

Shi Yi turned back and smiled at him. "You will also gradually realize that I am a very forgiving person. I usually will not get all that angry over ordinary little matters."

Their car came to a halt in front of a very old-style manor. Someone was waiting at the front doorway.

He stepped out of the car, handed his suit jacket to the young man who had been waiting at the door, and, holding up an umbrella, crooked his arm slightly. "May I?"

She nodded, feeling as if the two of them were acting out a play.

Zhousheng Chen bent forward slightly to accommodate her level as she came out of the vehicle. Shi Yi stretched out a leg onto the wet brick ground, and very quickly took his forearm. She was wearing a long-sleeved cheongsam while he had only had on a thin dress shirt. Through two thin layers of fabric, they were both still able to sense the warmth of each other's bodies.

Her mind was unable to focus, and she had walked a dozen or so steps before she started to pay attention to this place with courtyard upon courtyard.

Even though it was an old dwelling, its drainage was designed very well.

The rain was coming down so hard, yet along the entire way as they walked in, they did not encounter any accumulated water.

"You lived here from childhood?" She unobtrusively took in the surrounding scenery along the way.

"Before I was fourteen years old, I lived here for sometime," he told her. "It was not a long period of time, though."

She nodded.

Because he said he had once lived here, she immediately felt that this lonely, old manor in the curtain of rain seemed closer and dearer to her heart.

They would frequently come upon people hurrying by, all of them coming from side doorways or small pathways. When they saw Zhousheng Chen, they would all stop and bow slightly towards him. Those who were far away would not say anything, but those who were close would greet him as "Eldest Young Master." Hearing this remarkable form of address, Shi Yi stole a glimpse of him out of the corner of her eye. He, though, was extremely indifferent, most of the time not showing any reaction.

He merely addressed the young man who was leading the way for them: "Take us directly to see Madam."

The Zhousheng Chen in the airport who had been hurrying on his way, the Zhousheng Chen at Qinglong Temple who had occasionally conversed and laughed, the Zhousheng Chen in Shanghai who had seemed somewhat mysterious -- none of them had anything to do with this man right here in this moment.