Encounter 3: Strange

Entry #02588

"You! Eddie! How many times must I tell you not to leave your amulet at home?! How hardheaded can you be, silly child?!"

My grandmother kept on shouting as I wore the amulet that she handed to me. I laughed it off and apologized.

"Eddie, y-you..."

Too bad. She was angrier than earlier. Before she could pinch my waist, I ran away and hid in my room.

What a day yesterday...

Until now. How odd. I forgot my amulet again today but since morning, no ghost had bothered me.

I took the way from the back of the school. I was sick of hearing the gossip from my schoolmates about me. Yes, I know, I am popular but not in a good way. I am not a witch just because I can see spirits. Having a third eye is not black magic, to begin with.

I kicked the dried leaves out of annoyance.

"Are you tired of it?"

I stopped walking. I raised my face and saw somebody standing a few meters in front of me.

Based on his appearance, he's about the same age as me. I noticed that he is wearing a white hoodie. It is clean. There is no sign of how his death happened. His face and body look fine. If not for my ability to feel that his presence is of a ghost, I would have mistaken him to be a living human.

He laughed, probably because he saw how surprised I was. I sighed.

"If you think you can ask me for help, I will not help you," I said directly.

He laughed even more. I didn't understand why.

"That is not my intention why I came near you. No worry. I will not bother you."

My eyes narrowed into slits, assessing his intention. "Hmm? Really? But you are bothering me now already."

"What? I just want to be friends with you."

"Are you kidding me?"

"I'm dead serious." The smile was no longer seen on his face.

I pressed my eyes closed and massaged my forehead with my fingers. 'This is strange. It is my first time hearing a ghost asking for friendship.' Then I remembered what happened yesterday. Was he the one who drove those ghosts away? And today... was he also the reason why other ghosts did not disturb me?

Probably...

I looked at him again. "Tell me. Why me? I believed other people can see ghosts out there. Why did you choose me to befriend?"

"I don't know how but... only you can hear my voice."

"Huh?"

"By the way, my name is Jesse." He smiled again. Before I could process what he told me, he disappeared.

- Eddie