A simple pin twist would work on the door. A wiggle here and there, and bam, the job is done. The door to the kitchen slips open and closes without a sound behind me. It is so simple, you would think he would have at least given me a challenge. The door was reinforced steel, a good solid safety feature but the lock was the standard store bought deadbolts. McKennan probably couldn't find a higher end lock in this dinky town.

I've spent months in the brig planning and studying for this moment. I've prepared myself for any obstacle that could be placed in front of me. Even in the brig, it didn't take me long to figure out how to bust through one of those. Now with McKennan here to protect her, Cassie must think her safety is in good hands. She must believe that McKennan is better than I am. Too bad for her. Smiling at her inferior choice, she only made my job so much simpler. At least Cassie had done that right.

Silently through the cover of night and shadows, I crept through the house to survey my surroundings. I looked at the bottles in the sink, stinking with use that she had yet to clean. I wouldn't have tolerated that kind of negligence in my kitchen. More bottles sat on the counter waiting to be filled. Tutting to myself I continued my surveillance.

The fire in the living room is dying slowly. The soft sound of the wind whistling through the windows adds to the ambiance of the moment. So much she has half asses. So much is lying around just waiting to be finished. Cassie is slacking in her duties. It's time I remind her who is in charge. It's time she remembers I don't tolerate her disobedience.

Moving silently through the bottom level of the house, I can see the appeal of the house. It is a good solid structure. The kind of rustic house Cassie talked about, dreamed about having one day. It's too bad it will be her coffin. As I searched my way through the darkness, I came upon a small scarred desk piled with papers. I began to rifle through the mail on the top, bills and junk, nothing of use to me. The wrap around deck is a nice touch. The mountain views allow me a chance to find my best vantage points. The wood floors and the rustic atmosphere of the town is exactly what Cassie had wanted. And everything I detest.

Yes, it made sense Cassie would settle here. She found her dream home in this quiet little town. Too bad she didn't have more appropriate dreams. I'll bury her and McKennan out beyond the trees. She'll have the view for eternity then. My last gift to this ungrateful bitch.

Dropping the mail on the counter, I looked up at the stairs. "Soon, Cassie, I'll be seeing you soon." I whispered into the darkness and headed out of the house the way I came in. I'll blend back into the darkness of the woods and make my stand.

Travis

I stood at the upstairs window, watching the darkness. He's out there. Cassie is finally asleep in her bed, I don't want to disturb her. But I may not have a choice. The sounds of the floorboards creaking, the silent alarm I set on the doors all alerted me he was in the house.

I made it easy for him to get in. I wanted him to get comfortable, confident so he would make a mistake. He did. Standing in the shadows at the window I watch Dean slip into the shadows and make his way back into the woods. So getting in and out would be that simple for him.

The set up I had created wasn't elaborate but it was effective. It needed to seem simple and quickly executed. Anthony almost set it off further from the house. That would have been embarrassing for him when he was thrown back into the brig. I wonder what lie he would have told to justify his screwup?

The interior security, I have to admit, isn't nearly as well secured as I would have liked. But for good reason, I needed to know just what we are dealing with. It's been a while since I had the chance to observe Dean. He hasn't lost his touch, and now, I can set the real trap and get him locked up for good.