Chapter 11 - The Mission's Objective

‘So, what are we watching?’ You asked, collapsing beside Tony on the sofa, the wide screen in front of you showing a list of films, and changing to another list every time the billionaire voiced his disapproval. The “cinema room”, as Tony referred to it was nothing more than a large lounge-like area.

It had two huge black leather sofas that curved slightly, with several spotlights above them, a small wooden table in the middle with a black top, and a large cinematic screen on the wall in front. The walls were a deep read, and the carpet was black. Above the table and the cinema screen, a black panel was fitted to the ceiling with many small blue lights embedded into them, setting a comforting mood.

‘Thinking a newish film.’ Tony replied, scanning through the currently displayed list and dismissing it. ‘Next. Where’s Rogers?’

‘Didn’t think you’d notice.’ You gave him a playfully sarcastic look, which he raised his eyebrows to, as if to say “Really?” You chuckled. ‘He said he’ll be up in a sec, just needs to be alone for a bit.’

At that moment, Clint, Natasha, and Bruce walked in, sitting on the other sofa. ‘Hey guys.’ You greeted.

‘Hi, [name].’ Tasha nodded.

‘Thor’s bringing the popcorn.’ Clint informed you.

‘I’m surprised you haven’t installed a popcorn machine on this floor already, Tony.’ You mocked.

‘I was thinking about it.’ He noted.

The door opened to reveal Steve, and the scent of sweet and toffee popcorn wafted in; informing you that Thor had also arrived. ‘Hey, Steve.’ You smiled, patting the seat next to you for him to sit down. Thor set the popcorn on the table, before taking a large handful and sitting down. ‘How about Titanic?’ Tony suggested, noticing the film cover.

You felt him seize your wrists and hold your arms out. ‘“I’m flying, Jack!”’ He said in a mock high-pitched woman’s voice, imitating Kate Winslet in the film. You let out a chuckled and regained control over your wrists. ‘No, I think we should watch something a little less depressing.’

‘The Titanic was a ship.’ Steve spoke out, confused.

‘They made a film about it.’ You informed him, noting Thor’s look of confusion from behind him. ‘It’s about a passenger ship that sank around about 100 years ago, killing like 1500 people.’ You detailed.

‘Ah, that does sound less than cheerful.’

Tony sighed impatiently. ‘Are we going to watch something?’

‘Are you going to pick a film?’ You scowled at him, catching Natasha holding back a laugh out of the corner of your eye. ‘Next.’ He muttered, the screen changing to display yet another new list of films. You let out an irritated sigh and turned to face the screen.

‘JARVIS, just put something new and something good on.’

‘As you wish, miss [surname].’

‘See? Easy.’ You teased Tony, who seemed to be trying to ignore you. ‘Aw, Tony doesn’t know how to work his own computer system!’

‘JARVIS, play.’

With a smile, you sat back in your seat. You caught a glance of Steve looking down at his shoes and looked at him with a little sadness, placing a hand on top of his to gain his attention. When his blue eyes me your [e/c] eyes, you gave him a little smile, which he copied, and you turned your attention back to the film.

JARVIS had selected James Cameron’s Avatar to play – a film you thoroughly enjoyed, and a film that – at points – confused Thor and Steve completely. You were positive you saw Steve blush at the scene between Jake and Neytiri, when their Avatar bodies “mated before Eywa”, which made you smile. He was so innocent.