Katherine was fairly sure that he hadn't put much thought into it at all, but she remained silent, watching as he mulled it over.

“The Alpha –” He looked at her quizzically, once again interrupting his own train of thought. “Did you ever read the pamphlet?”

Katherine grimaced. Created not long after the pack and village merged, the pamphlet outlined a basic summary of werewolves and how they functioned. Kept at the library, it could be accessed by any local over the age of sixteen; an easy way to learn more about their unusual neighbours.

She knew Jonathon had perused it extensively, but Katherine refused to entertain the idea. She’d no desire to know more than she was already forced to; especially when there were no guarantees any of it were true. She shook her head.

“That's what I thought,” he murmured, showing no surprise. “That does make it harder to explain –"

Summarise, her expression warned.

“But, to keep it simple...” He smiled. “Every pack lives under a strict hierarchy. It keeps our wolves happy and prevents them turning feral by creating order and controlling their wild instincts.”

Well, that made sense, Katherine was all in favour of anything that kept them contained in any way.

“An Alpha, that's me, usually rules alongside a Luna – a female, or occasionally male, counterpart. Many believe a pack cannot be truly complete without one.”

“But not you?”

“I have no desire to settle down,” he confessed. “I do not find myself yearning for true love, or companionship.” His eyes flickered almost involuntarily towards the mantle piece. “Nor do I believe my pack will struggle to function without the aid of a Luna.”

Katherine’s frown grew deeper. While she could understand his desire to remain single – Katherine herself had no interest in ever falling in love again – it still didn't explain why he wanted to play pretend.

“My older brother was recently,” his face took on a reflective look, “let's use the word married, for simplicities sake; he was recently married. To his true mate, as it turns out.” He paused as though the words should hold some deeper significance, but all Katherine could offer him was a blank look.

“His soulmate,” he tried to elaborate. “The woman he's destined to spend the rest of his life with... his true love.”

Ah, now that made more sense. The clarity must have shown on her face because he visibly relaxed.

“As he’s now the star of his own blissful fairytale, my father has come to the conclusion that I should join him and find a mate... a Luna of my own. So much so, that he has taken it upon himself to choose one for me.”

“That's absurd!”

“I'm glad we agree.”

“Surely he can't make you –”

“Oh, believe me, he can.” Asher's eyes darkened. “Once my father decides something, it is usually inevitable. It may be hard to believe, but If I don't take steps now, I will soon find myself bound forever to a woman I've never met, and haven't chosen.”

Katherine grimaced. It wasn't that hard to believe. She had seen first hand the devastation an order from Avery Hunter could cause. “But what has any of this got to do with me?”

“I thought that was obvious.” He unleashed the full force of his devastating smile. “I’ve no desire to be a pawn on my father's playing board. So, I'm taking over the game. When he next rolls up to this pack, I want to present you as my mate-to-be.” He leaned back in his chair as though he'd reached a logical conclusion.