Chapter 27-Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do

Start from the beginning

"Pizza's always a good choice, right?" She responds with a shrug before taking a swig of her beer and then makes her way to talk with Zeke.

I sigh with a nod. There goes my plan of curling up in my bed eating a pint of ice cream while looking at pictures of Sage on my phone for the rest of the night.

Forty minutes later, the doorbell rings. Mark announces he'll get the door while I head to the kitchen to grab my purse looking for cash to tip the delivery guy. Maverick and Goose begin to go crazy, barking excitedly and jumping—well, trying to jump with their short legs. 

I rush to help keep them back, but stop in my tracks when I see Sage at the door. There's a mixture of shock, confusion and hurt on his face as he looks at everyone in the apartment before his eyes focus on Mark and then on me.

"Sage."

"Coach?" Oli brushes past me, throwing her arms around him in a hug. "Long time no see! How the hell are you? Do you want a beer?" She offers but his eyes haven't left mine.

He looks tired with dark shadows under his eyes and his beard is longer than the stubble he usually sports. His hair is tied back in a loose bun, several pieces falling around his face. He blinks, breaking the contact with me and gives Oli a forced smile. His lips practically disappear under the length of his beard.

"No...no, thanks. I...I should go."

"What?! No way, man. The more the merrier." Oli insists, giving me a look to say something, but I can't. Too scared I'll burst into tears when all I really want to do is hug him, kiss him and never let go of him.

But it's not meant to be and my heart splinters painfully as I remind myself of the cold, hard truth.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt," he mutters. "See you, Oli." He squeezes her shoulder. "Thanks for checking in on Obie, that means a lot." He adds and the crack in my heart widens. He glances briefly at Mark then back at me and turns away.

"Girl, snap the fuck out of it and go talk to him, now!" Oli whisper-shouts at me.

"Are you okay, Joanna?" Mark asks.

I rush out the door, shutting it behind me. "Sage!" He stops but doesn't turn around.

My heart is galloping inside my chest at an alarming rate as I approach him. "Sage." I repeat his name quieter and his head drops before he turns around. My heart shatters, when he lifts his eyes that are shining before he looks up at the ceiling of the hallway. He takes a deep breath, but even from where I'm standing I can hear the tremor as he exhales.

My strong, grumpy, yet sensitive Sage.

Something like a chuckle passes through his lips and then he looks directly at me. "I've been losing my fucking mind, Joanna. I needed to see you, to talk to you. And you're on a date with Mark."

I shake my head. "No. It's not like that. It's a work thing."

"Since when do Oli, Eddie, Quique and Zeke work with you?" He grits out through his teeth. And then he shakes his head and I hold my breath as he takes powerful strides toward me. "You know what? I don't give a damn. I don't care if you are on a date with Mark." He squeezes my shoulders.

"You and I, we belong together. Even if you don't want to believe it. I've missed you every minute of every day. I miss my best friend. I should have said it the first time I realized it, but I love you, Joanna and I need you." His voice breaks as he cups my face in his hands.

"You're my beaver, remember?" His eyes flicker between mine and the last thing I expect to do is smile, but I do, albeit a small one. "I want to spend every day of my life with you, Joanna."