Chapter 2

You continued on, the four of you traveling at speed towards the orc pack as they continued along the pains of Emnet.

You were ahead of the others as you came to the peak of one of the rolling hills and you looked across the plain from a new vantage point. "We have a problem," she shouted over your shoulder.

Legolas and Aragorn were at your side a few moments later, Gimli still trailing behind on his short legs. "The orcs are turning North East," you observed.

"They're taking the hobbits to Isengard," Legolas responded.

You and Aragorn shared a look as Gimli approached, "but Isengard," he said breathless.

"Means that Saruman the White is working with the enemy," you finished.

Legolas sighed, "this will be much harder than we thought."

You all nodded, taking a deep breath. "We need a plan," you finally broke the silence, "it's getting dark, which means we need to find shelter tonight and come up with a way into Isengard."

Aragorn shook his head, "we should attack them now, don't give them a chance to get to Isengard."

Gimli nodded in agreement, "aye, all this running makes me ache for a real fight."

You shook your head, "the orcs are leagues in front of us, and the closer they get to Isengard, the easier it will be for more to reinforce them." You continued, "we cannot defeat the whole of Saruman's army alone."

Legolas nodded in agreement, "come on, there are some rocky spots over here that we can make safe for the night."

Gimli looked between you and the direction of the orc pack before nodding, "these legs could use a rest."

Gimli and Legolas began walking towards the rock outcropping, but Aragorn remained watching the sun set and the sky grow darker. "I don't want to leave Merry and Pippin either," you whispered, placing a hand on his shoulder.

"I couldn't protect Frodo," he responded, "at least I thought I could save Boromir, but I failed at that too."

"Boromir died protecting the others," you explained, "he died with honor, and now we avenge him by saving Merry and Pippin."

"We can't do that from here," Aragorn shouted. You knew he wasn't frustrated with you, but you also knew you were the only one that could talk him out of something stupid.

You grabbed his shoulders, spinning him around to face you. "We also can't save them if we die in the process. Now pull it together and help us come up with a plan to get into Isengard without dying."

His eyes opened wide at your tone, but eventually he sighed and pulled you in for a tight hug, "I'm sorry," he whispered.

You leaned into his embrace, "I know."

He finally pulled away and slung his arm across your shoulder as you guided him to the outcropping Legolas and Gimli were waiting in. "It's hard," Gimli said, trying to get comfortable with nothing but a thin cloak between him and the ground.

"It's rock, Gimli," Legolas said with a laugh.

You and Aragorn laughed as you sat down on the rocky floor. You laid down your cloak on top of Legolas's, offering a small amount of extra cushion before laying close to him and resting your head on his chest.

Gimli sat up, "you see that isn't fair," he said, smacking Aragorn's shoulder and gesturing to the two of you, "they have some extra cushion."

Aragorn smiled as he puffed his pipe slowly. "You're welcome to share with Aragorn," Legolas said with a laugh.

Gimli looked shocked for a moment, before his hearty laugh bounced off the rocks. Aragorn shook his head with an amused smile, "I am not the cuddling type," he said to Gimli.

Gimli chucked and laid back down on the ground, shifting often attempting to get comfortable. You looked up at the stars as you laid in Legolas's arms. "Do you remember the last time we just laid down and watched the night sky?" you asked.

Legolas placed a kiss on the top of your head, "it was the night I asked you to marry me."

You shifted slightly and Legolas careened his neck to give you a short kiss on the lips. "I love you," you whispered.

"I love you more than anything," he whispered, squeezing you tightly for a moment.

"Enough of all that talk," Gimli said loudly, "we're trying to sleep over here and all this romance is getting in the way."

Aragorn clapped Gimli on the shoulder and gave him a look to be quiet, but there was humor reflected in his eyes.

Gimli glared at Aragorn and grumbled, "I feel like I am third-wheeling on their honeymoon."

You chuckled, "we haven't gotten married yet."

"So it's not a honeymoon," Legolas added.

Gimli rolled his eyes and Aragorn laughed, "they're in love in a quiet moment," he whispered, "let them enjoy it before we get into the thick of things."

Gimli grumbled and rolled over, but once he was no longer facing anyone, he smiled. At first, joining forces with so many different people, and elves no doubt, seemed like such a chore. But now, in the presence of his friends, he felt at peace for the first time since leaving Rivendell. If only he knew of all the other horrors that were coming.