8

It was Fourth of July weekend and we were having a cookout. I'd met most of Cherry's friend and everyone was so nice. Everyone even mentioned the way John and I were around one another.

Jesse and John were manning the grill while Morgan, Coco and I made the sides. Cherry and Maya both had half shifts at work so they didn't help much with preparations. I didn't mind it though because three women in the kitchen was enough.

When everything was done, I excused myself and walked down to the pier. I took my phone with me and called my parents house phone. I really hoped that my dad would answer this go around.

"Hello?" his voice came across the line.

"Hey, daddy," I said, breathing a sigh of relief.

"Hey punkin. How's things going?"

"They're going good. We're having a cookout this afternoon once Cherry gets off of work. I've been helping the others get things ready."

"That sounds like fun. Mom tells me your seeing someone?"

"I am. His name is John."

"Is he treating you good?" he asked.

"Yes, wonderfully," I smiled.

"That's good. Listen honey, your mother is calling in so I'm going to let you go. Stay safe and check in later, okay?"

"Sure thing, dad. I'll talk to you later. Love you," I said and after he said goodbye, I put my phone back in my pocket.

I brought my knees up and hugged them, resting my chin. I just couldn't get over how beautiful this place was. Listening to the ocean zoned me out of reality for a minute so I didn't hear my name being called.

"Hey, babe," Johns voice was in my ear. He sat down and wrapped his arms around me. "You okay?"

"Yeah, couldn't be better," I said leaning into him.

"Cherry and Maya are home. Guests will be arriving shortly. Let's go back to the house," he said, kissing my cheek and standing up.

He stuck his hand out for me and pulled me up. We walked slowly back to the house in silence. When we got there, there were a few people that I didn't recognize. Everyone made sure to introduce me but there were too many to remember. The one that did stick out was my waitress from my first night here. I recognized the name.

Lena.

I stayed friendly and conversed when I needed to. John hardly left my side the entire evening and I could almost feel the hatred that Lena was feeling towards me. It was obvious that she had feelings for him but he didn't reciprocate them. Whenever he would slip away from me for a drink or something, she was behind him. She kept making sure she was seen by him and somehow touched him any chance she got.

I could tell that he was starting to get a little uncomfortable by her attention. He kept glancing over at me and making a face. After the third time, I got up and walked over to him. I could see the relief wash over his face when I got next to him.

"Hey, love. Are you enjoying yourself?" he asked draping an arm around my shoulders.

"I am but I was thinking that maybe we could go sit on the beach for a little while."

"Anything for you. Excuse us, Lena," he said and took my hand. Once we were away from her, he said, "Thank you!"

He sat down on the sand and I followed. Once again, he wrapped his arms around me and pulled me into his chest. Life at this moment was absolutely perfect. I dreaded when I had to go home.

"I want to tell you something," he started, "but I'm kind of afraid if I tell you, it'll scare you."

"John, I just want you to know that you have made me so happy this summer."

"Even with as fast as we jumped into this relationship?"

"Yeah, I've never been more sure about anything."

"Darcy," he said. "I love you. You don't have to say it back if you're not ready but I do. I love you."

"I love you too, John," I said.

He turned my head slightly so he could see my face. I smiled at him when he realized I was telling him the truth. He leaned down to kiss me when we heard a scream come from a few feet away from us.

We both looked over to see someone run away but they were already far enough that their identity couldn't have been proven. I'd bet the rest of my vacation it was Lena. John shrugged and went back to kiss me.

When we went back to the house, he kept his arms wrapped around me which made walking kind of difficult. I didn't mind it though. Cherry had turned some music on and others were dancing around the the deck and in the yard. I turned around and put my hands on the back of Johns neck and started swaying around.

"Yo, what did y'all do to Lena?" Jesse asked a few minutes later. We looked at him completely confused.

"What are you talking about?" John asked.

"Well, shortly after you all walked down to the beach, we watched Lena go down. As clingy as she's been, we thought you all invited her so Darcy could get to know her a little more. You guys had been gone maybe ten minutes when she came back, screaming and hitting drinks out of peoples hands."

John looked down at me and I said, "I knew it!"

"What?" Jesse asked.

"She overheard something John said to me. After he said it, we heard someone scream and we had just saw the fading back of someone but I knew it had to be her."

"She's never acted like this before," he said.

"Because you've never had a serious girlfriend before," Maya said.

"This is borderline obsessiveness," I said.

"What did she overhear?" Maya asked.

"I told Darcy that I loved her," John said.

They stood there in front of us with their mouths gaping open. Cherry had overheard it also and got closer to us, just staring. No one said anything but everyone had big smiles on their faces.

"Did John boy just say words we never heard him say to a romantic interest?" Jesse asked.

"He did indeed," John answered, looking down at me.

"Awww," all the others said in unison.

"Enough of that. The fireworks should be starting soon," John said, grabbing my hand and leading me back down to the beach. We faced to the left because that's where the biggest fireworks were being set off.

This night could not have ended on a better note. I was surrounded by new friends. Was dating a wonderful man. My summer could pause from this point on for all I cared.