Arc 1 Chapter 1 - Freedom

Rokusuke and I were called to the office by our fathers. They seemed to have something rather important to inform us about. I wasn't interested and neither was he, but there was nothing we could do about it. Our paths had met 11 years ago when Rokusuke visited the White Room. He had seen me through the one sided glass and requested a challenge. We both gave it our all, but neither of us came out victorious. We were equal at almost everything we did. Physically or academically, we were on the same level. Well I admit I was a little better but he was still my rival.

As we walked into the room, we were met with our fathers talking about rather trivial things. Rokusuke had his usual smirk on his face and I had my normal apathetic expression. They abruptly ended their conversation and stared at us with bloodlust. We stared back unfazed by their deplorable attempt of intimidating us.

"Why did you call us?" I asked, wanting to end the meeting as quickly as possible.

"It seems you have gotten quite cocky Kiyotaka." My father said staring deep into my cold eyes.

"Is there any reason for me not to be?"

"True, but don't speak out of turn again." He had his usual glare as he said this.

"We have called you both to reveal what we have been planning for the past month. I think you'll find it to your liking." Kouenji-sensei said this. His face had the identical smirk to that of Rokusuke's.

"What have you to tell us two perfect existences?"

Rokusuke was never interested in anything other than me. We had become best friends over the 11 years we knew each other. It was a concept I didn't fully understand, but I knew Rokusuke was definitely like family to me.

"We are going to be allowing you outside of the White Room next month."

We both looked at each other, him with the biggest smirk I had ever seen and me with slightly curved lips. I think I just smiled, even if only a little. A strange feeling overcame me for a moment.

"That is what you call happiness Kiyotaka-boy. You've only felt it a number of times when we were in the midst of a challenge. This is what true and genuine happiness feels like. Hahahaha!"

Rokusuke explained that I had felt happiness just now. I think I remember feeling somewhat similar to this when I was competing against him, but never to this extent.

"You will both be sent to Advanced Nurturing High School. It is considered one of the most prestigious high schools in Japan."

We weren't interested in a mediocre school. The White Room was undoubtedly the best education that could be given to any human. Rokusuke and I wouldn't need to study for the rest of our lives.

"You may think that this is unnecessary, but it is the only way for either of you to experience freedom from our hands."

This would mean the school will most likely keep an eye on us. Or maybe it didn't allow its students contact with the outside world.

"Freedom is anywhere outside of this place. I believe Kiyotaka and I will find this rather fascinating." He glanced at me. He was the only person who was able to tell how I felt due to being around me for more than a decade. His wildly accurate intuition also helps.

"You will both be briefed about the details later. You may now leave."

They really are letting us out of this place. I couldn't sense any ill intentions behind their words.

Just before we left they called out to us.

"Never disgrace the Kouenji name Rokusuke."

"You may never lose Kiyotaka."