Chapter 54: The Homeworld

Start from the beginning

Astra gives Din's shoulder a playful shrug. "Do you really, riduur?"

Din swings his helmet to look at her. "I... was younger then." He clears his throat and focuses back on Peli, though he doesn't miss the squeeze Astra gives his shoulder. "I'm looking for a replacement IG memory circuit."

Peli gives Din a surprised look. "Oh. Hey, grandpa." Astra laughs before she can suppress the sound with her hand. This time, Din deals her a playful shoulder shove. "They haven't made those for a while."

Peli guides them closer to a speeder she's working on, where the Jawas meet them in the middle. When they stop in front of her, she speaks to them in Jawaese, ending her sentence with "memory circuit." The Jawas make a few frustrated hand gestures before they run off again. Din and Astra share a look before Peli turns to them again. "Sorry, pal, no chance cubes."

Din lifts his free hand in shock. "They can't find the part?"

Peli shrugs. "Nope."

Din gives Astra a worried stare and tightens his hand into a fist. "We need our droid fixed now." Zora whimpers and Din starts to gently rock her, resisting the urge to apologize for his frustrated feelings.

"Which is why I think you should buy this beauty here." Peli turns and slaps a hand on top of her R5-D4 unit, causing a piece of him to fly off completely. One of his circuits crackles with electricity that makes Din hold back a sigh.

"I can't use an astromech," Din reminds her. "We need a droid that's rated for spelunking."

Peli wears an incredulous raise of her brow. "Spelunking? What are you spelunking?"

Astra moves closer to Din's side and he wishes he could thank her for it. "We're going to Mandalore. We need a droid that can explore ahead of us and test the atmosphere, make sure it's safe to breathe."

"Okay, well..." Peli starts. She's cut off by R5 beeping and shaking his head as he tries to back away. Peli waves him back over and tuts at him. "Hey! Get right back here. Right back here, scaredy droid." She sets a supportive hand on him. "Come on now, you gotta shine."

Din glances over at Astra to read her. She's focused back on the starfighter, her lips pulled tight in consideration. Peli goes on before he can question her about it.

"This R5 astromech is built for adventure," she informs them. R5 gives her a sharp look and she returns one with bewilderment. "What?" She sighs when he speaks to her. "Of course you are. You're supposed to be piloting starfighters across the galaxy and fighting tyranny."

R5 offers only nervous beeps in response. Din's gaze meets Astra's and she becomes the one to voice their shared parts. "We don't have any room for him on the ship," Astra tells Peli. "We can barely fit the four of us in there."

"Not to mention he's falling apart," Din mutters.

"Nonsense," Peli insists. "R5-D4 is as good as the day he came back from serving in the Rebellion." Astra raises an eyebrow at Din and he holds back an amused chuckle. "And don't you worry. I'll reinstall your droid port and this little baby here can even co-pilot." R5 begins to shake with worry and Peli glares at him. "Hey, if you don't settle your bolts, I'll sell you back to the Jawas."

"Peli," Astra starts with a worried sigh, "that only worsens our problem of fitting in the ship."

"I've got it, princess!" Peli assures her. Astra huffs at the use of her old title. "It's Boonta Eve, so what I'm gonna do is give you this—," she leans against R5, "—for half the price and throw in a free oil bath. And since it's inconveniencing you and I happen to like your family, I'll push that droid port back and make some other modifications to fit you all in there a bit better."