Mighty could only nod, helping his younger brother out of the tree. Knuckles gestured for him to come over, "How would you like to join the chaotix?" Mighty looked at Ray who could only nod. "Sure, we have nothing else to do" Knuckles could only smirk.

A week later…

For some odd reason, Mighty couldn't sleep whether it was the new place they stayed at or Vectors snoring, he would never know. But, for some odd reason, he had to get up and leave the house. 

Frowning to himself, something caught his eye in the back garden. With careful steps he walked around the back of the house only to gasp at what he saw, Espio the chameleon, the one who remained out of discussions and followed orders without a second thought. Was sitting on the back step with his head in his hands and blood running down his right leg. 

Mighty tried to be silent but ended up standing on a twig snapping the chameleon's attention to him. Espio looked up at him with fear in his eyes, Mighty recognised that emotion anywhere. It would seem the chameleon had been too caught up in his thoughts and didn't know how to react. 

"Espio? Look I'm sorry, I didn't mean to sneak up or startle you. All I'm going to ask is, are you alright?" Mighty said in a calm tone, his body language relaxing to help settle the startled ninja.

Espio frowned and then shook his head. 

"Want to talk about it?" 

With a shake of the head, Espio moved over, inviting Mighty to sit down. The armadillo did so leaving a small space in between them. 

The two sat in silence, Mighty never pressed for any answers or asked any questions. Instead he sat being a solid form for the chameleon who would seem so far away yet he sat right beside him. 

Overtime, the two would find each other sitting on the backstep every Friday night. Mighty would sometimes talk, leaving Espio to choose to listen to him. The armadillo wasn't too bothered if the chameleon wasn't listening, it just felt good to tell someone all his inner thoughts. This continued for weeks until one night, Mighty came out only to frown. Espio wasn't there. He moved to turn back around when someone caught his shoulder.

Whipping back around Mighty gasped coming face to face with Knuckles, the chaotix leader. 

"He's in his room, the cold makes him ill. He wants to see you, code is:5-0-6-7. Don't tell anyone that. Oh and you break his heart, I will murder you" Knuckles threatened, disappearing into the house. 

Mighty could only shiver, entering the house. He silently walked past Vector's room and typed in the code to the chameleon's room where he found quite a sight. Espio was wrapped up in a blanket beside a heater. The ninja looked sick. Mighty was quick to close the door. 

"Hey" 

Not expecting a reply, Mighty moved to sit opposite him ready for their daily storytime with Mighty. He was in shock when Espio lifted the blanket to allow the armadillo to sit right beside him. Mighty moved into that spot not wanting to waste the opportunity to get close with the one he couldn't help but keep thinking about. 

"When Knuckles told me, you were sick. I never expected this" Mighty said. Espio could only nod as he usually did. 

Silence filled the room.

"Are you not going to tell a story?" 

Mighty whipped around in surprise hearing the chameleons' calming smooth tone. Espio could only chuckle at his expression, it brought happiness to Mighty's eyes.