Chapter 19

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

What in Mobius was that annoying sound? Wasn’t death meant to be peaceful? 

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

There it was again, what was happening? Just where was he? 

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

“Mighty! He’s waking up!” 

He recognised that voice, was that Ray or was he imagining things? A part of his brain acknowledged a bit of pain spreading through his chest. 

“Hey, sleepy head. I think it’s about time you woke up and joined the land of living” Okay, that was definitely Mighty but what had happened? Oh no, had he died? Violet! Griffin! Espio panicked thinking about his kids, to the point he abruptly sat up hitting his head quite violently on something. 

“Easy, let us get you out of the chamber before Shadow murders me for holding you captive” 

Wait! That was Sonic’s voice, his body was exhausted but he was fighting against sleep. His eyes blinked open revealing a ceiling above him, looking around Espio noticed three figures standing over him. One of them was very distinctive, Mighty! With a groan, Espio was helped into a sitting position. The first thing he noticed as his vision blurred was the fact he was in Tail’s workshop, monitors were everywhere. Someone lifted him out of what he thought was a chamber, he was right when he noticed there were two chambers and a particular ebony hedgehog was in one. 

“How long was I out?” Espio asked, leaning further into Mighty who smiled, “Two weeks” Espio’s eyes widened, the clan! His panic must have shown. “Mother, don’t panic. Silas managed to hold it off until next month. The clan watched you sacrifice yourself for our own and their safety, they believed you deserve some rest” Violet appeared in his vision holding Griffin who was playing with his own feet. The small armadillo giggling in his older sister’s arms. Mighty smirked, holding Espio tighter to his body, “Hun, you need some food, a shower and then some sleep” Rouge the bat appeared out of the corner of his eye with what looked like food. Whether it was edible would be the question, “Vanilla, cooked not Vector” she insisted, Espio could only nod, taking the sandwich and soup with thanks. He never did anything without manners. Mighty helped him sit down at the table and stood behind him in case of anything. Even though he was still suffering blood loss and being in a chamber, Espio was glad to have survived. The question he wondered was whether he would still have a place in this family when he was back to health. 

Espio managed to eat half of the soup and Chramy ate the sandwich as Espio struggled to keep his eyes open. Being on alert all the time was extremely exhausting. 

“So, how long do you reckon until grumpy wakes up?” Rouge turned her attention to Tails who could only frown at Shadow’s vitals, the ultimate lifeform was so still it was scary. 

“In all honesty, he should have woken up last week, it would seem…” 

“His chaos powers are depleted, he needs to connect with a strong bond and for him not to be in the chamber” Espio interrupted their conversation, closing his eyes as he fell into the land of dreams. Mighty could only smile, a shower would have to wait. The armadillo wasted no time in picking Espio up and walking to the spare bed, he tucked the ninja in. Espio didn't make a sound but he did move to allow Dash to cuddle in, the smaller hedgehog sleepily rubbing his own eyes. 

Tails, Rouge and Sonic all shared looks while doing as they were told. No sooner did Sonic remove Shadow from the chamber and put him in Sonic’s bedroom at Tails place. Shadow twitched in his sleep, the ultimate lifeform let out a groan cuddling close to the pillow. Sonic could only smile, he stood for a good minute looking at his partner he almost lost. Only when he turned to move away, he gasped as a hand clasped around his wrist.