𝐗𝐗𝐗𝐈𝐕

Start from the beginning

true smiles, it felt like a blessing, it was a blessing, the saints seemed to have a little sympathy for them after what they'd done.

Water fell on her mouth as she glanced at the Wraith whose smile vanished and was placed with a worried look, "we have to move now, quickly, before the stones grow slick and the rain becomes an enemy." she said with a small smile.

"After you, angel, you're the leader." replied Zaria, nodding at the girl, forcing their muscles to flex, their fingers to seek, and pulling themselves up one foot, then another, again and again, Inej murmured prayers of gratitude to her Saints.

Also fighting her tremors, she would hunt the slavers and their buyers. They would learn to fear her, and they would know her by her name. The heart is an arrow. It demands an aim to land true. She clung to the wall, but it was purpose she grasped at long last, and that carried her upwards.

She was not a lynx or a spider or even the Wraith. She was Inej Ghafa, and her future was waiting above.

Kaz's mind went back to Zaria, what is she doing now? if she climbed with Inej without him telling her to, he would kill her. oh if only he knew because now she is halfway with the Wraith.

His mind went back to when he opened the door to her cell, how her light brown eyes showed nothing but relief at the sight of him, Kaz felt at that moment every muscle in his body relax even his leg suddenly stopped aching.

He’d never lost his love for sleight of hand, and he graduated from palming coins to cards, cups, wallets, and watches. A good magician wasn’t much different from a proper thief. Before long, he was banned from playing in every gambling hall on East Stave. 

"Shop's closed." Kaz pushed through the crowd one day, mind buzzing, heart racing, unsure of what he meant to do, but at the door to the shop, a giant bruiser in a bowler hat stopped him with one meaty hand.

"I can see it’s open." Kaz’s voice sounded wrong to him – reedy, unfamiliar.

"you'll have to wait."

"I need to see Jakob Hertzoon."

"Who?" what the fuck? is he playing with him, cause this is not a game?

 Kaz felt like he was about to climb out of his skin. He pointed through the window. "Jakob fucking Hertzoon. I want to talk to him." The bruiser had looked at Kaz as if he were deranged. "Get your head straight, lad," he’d said. 

"That ain’t no Hertzoon. That’s Pekka Rollins. Want to get anywhere in the Barrel, you’d best learn his name." he resumed his words, Kaz knew Pekka Rollins’ name. Everyone did. He’d just never seen the man.

At that moment, Rollins turned towards the window. Kaz waited for acknowledgment, a smirk, a sneer, or even some spark of recognition. 

But Rollins’ eyes passed right over him. One more mark. One more cull. Why would he remember? Whatever, think of Za- your crows and the plans, Kaz.

As soon as the girls reached the roof, both the girls sat there for a minute catching their breaths and gasping for air, the cold wind slapping their cheeks and making them shiver.

Zaria stared at the sky exhaling and inhaling, "thank you, saints." she whispered closing her eyes and running a hand through her wet hair and chuckling at their success.

"We did it!" exclaimed Inej in a whisper also smiling and Zaria nodded, "we did it because of you, Inej." the girl's cheeks reddened at the compliment.

"We did it together." 

Inej had secured a rope to the roof with the help of Zaria who made sure it was good, and dropped down a line for them to climb. 

Jesper had sent the rest of the rope up with Wylan and Matthias, along with a pair of shears he’d located in the laundry, and a crude grappling hook he’d fashioned from the metal slats of a washboard. Then he’d cleaned the spatter of rain and moisture from the floor of the refuse room, and made sure there were no scraps of rope or other signs of their presence. There was nothing left to do but wait, and panic when the alarm started to ring.

Great, fucking amazing.

He heard people shouting at each other, and a hail of stomping boots through the ceiling above. 

Any minute, some intuitive guards might venture down to the basement, and if they found Jesper by the incinerator, the route to the roof would be obvious. He’d be damning not only himself but the others as well. 

Come on, Kaz. I’m waiting on you. They all were. Nina had come charging into the room only minutes before, gasping for breath. where was Dirtyhands when needed?

"go!" she’d shouted at him, "What are you waiting for?" she cried again watching him frown in annoyance, "you!" Jesper shot back. But when he asked her where Kaz was, Nina’s face crumpled. 

"I hoped he was with you." Oh fuck, what will he tell Zaria, where is he? what the fuck should they do? Had the guards captured Kaz? Was he somewhere in the prison fighting for his life?

Nina vanished up the rope, grunting with effort, leaving Jesper standing below, frozen with indecision. Luck is never by their sides, right?

He’s Kaz Brekker. Even if they locked him up, Kaz could escape any cell, any pair of shackles.

Jesper could leave the rope for him, praying the rain and the cooling incinerator were enough to keep the bottom of it from burning away. 

But if he just kept standing here, he’d give away their escape route, and they’d all be fucked. There was nothing to do but climb.

He can find a lie to tell Zaria, cause if he tells her the truth she will 98% panic and climb back down to search for him, and he can't let that happen, he was relieved to see her do it with Inej and she can't climb back down.

Jesper grabbed the rope just as Kaz hurtled through the door. His shirt was covered in blood, his dark hair a wild mess, just like the black-haired zemeni girl liked.

What would she say if she sees him like that, covered in blood and hair a mess? will she flirt or blush? we'll see.

Thanks, saints, Zaria doesn't have to stress about Dirtyhands who always got into trouble, she will feel more than relieved to see him.....especially like that.

——♤——

This episode is based of me and multifandomdisaster9 friendship, she is Jesper<3 and also me and dad's relationship.

So yeah, this was painful yet good to write. ONE DAY LEFT FOR SEASON 2 OF SHADOW AND BONE MFS❗🗣